Brachycaulos bloom

naoh123September 12, 2013

My brachycaulos finally decided to show its color, just wanted to share as a humble thanks for all the good info I've found here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunshine_qld

Stunning.
Well worth the wait.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:29PM
o2tiller(N/A)

Very nice, naoh123 (apologize for the spelling error of noah123 in my original post - kind of like calling someone Ken when their name is actually Kathy:)). Thanks for sharing.

Grown outside? How long of a timeframe before you noticed the red blush and flowering?

This post was edited by o2tiller on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 2:16

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 12:55PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Very nice, indeed. I, too, want to know your cultural conditions. Especially (if 60107 is your zip code) how you overwintered it.

tj

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 7:28PM
naoh123

Thanks! I got this guy back in May. It has stayed outside since it came home. I would estimate it was 1/4 less the overall size you see in the picture when I got it and it bloomed the day I posted this, so mid September. The blushing was surprisingly fast, something like day 1 noticed some tinted edges, day 2 the color completely filled in, day 3 multiple blooms.

Yeah, IL is nowhere near ideal for Tillandsias but as soon as it stops dropping under 40's it's tolerable and during summer it's pretty perfect. I've been keeping a close eye on the humidity since growing these guys and the only thing I can say for this region concerning growing air plants is when the season is here we get the humidity--most nights pop well over 80% and day time humidity usually stays in the upper 50's to low 60's. As far as temperature goes we had a week or two that cropped up into the 90's, but I think on average it was 60's in the evening and 80's during the day.

Overwintering is the upcoming project. They will be set up in front of a window with some extra lighting since the direct sun is only a few hours during winter. The plan is to keep the artificial lighting timed with the current sunset/sunrise schedule in order to keep their biological clocks in "sync." I'll be sure to let ya'll know how it goes.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 9:46PM
hotdiggetydam

Good luck noah. It will be a fun project. With proper humidity and air circulation it will be successful.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 6:01AM
o2tiller(N/A)

How's the 'overwintering project' progressing for you?

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™