New bigeneric

hotdiggetydamSeptember 11, 2008

I think its pretty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bromadams(10b)

It does look good. What are the parents?

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 10:53PM
kerry_t_australia(9)

Love it HDD!

What is it?

K

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 11:06PM
hotdiggetydam

Androlepsis skinneri x Ae. fasciata spineless

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 11:24PM
jaga

Really nice !! hdd and spinless it seems, making it great for the garden. Unfortunately I only have the male plant of Androlepis skinneri and am told there are no female plants in NZ ? Somebody correct me if im wrong here, any on lookers from nz with this plant. Certainly makes a nice bigeneric.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 11:46PM
hotdiggetydam

I read that some where too Jaga,,maybe an Uncle Derek says article

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 11:56PM
LisaCLV(HI)

That's a fabulous looking cross, alright!

Andrew, you could try the Andro pollen on an Aechmea. It might even work better. I've tried pollinating my female A. skinneri with a variety of things, but so far no luck.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 1:29AM
bromadams(10b)

I'm looking forward to making all kinds of bigenerics when I finally get some skinneri flowers to work with, hopefully, later this year.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 10:21AM
udo69

A wondwerful plant HDD. I like those compact foliages. HHD, I want to see the whole plants. It should be a very nice plant.

Like Jaga, I have only male Andro. Now it starts flowering. I do pollinate it with A.bracteata, A.chantinii and A.spectabilis. Hope they will set seeds. I also try to pollinate my Neo. carolinae x carcharodon with Andro. pollen. There is only small amount of Andro. bigeneric in trade. Are there anyone success in Andro. cross with other genera?

Lisa what species failed to cross with female Andro. I don't have femal Andro. I am looking for those plant in Thailand but nobody have. I think Andros. in Thailand are only male.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 5:47AM
LisaCLV(HI)

The only pollen attempt I can remember specifically was with Ae. ramosa 'Festiva'. I'm pretty sure I tried some other Aechmeas but I don't keep records of the ones that fail. ;-)

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 1:17PM
bromadams(10b)

There is so little info on bigeneric crossing, that I think you'll have to just do it and see what happens. Lisa and others have been kind enough to share some of their knowledge about intra genera crosses, but nobody is really sharing bigeneric info. I'm not even sure that anybody has knowledge to share. For me it's all fun. I think I have 4 xNeobergias growing and a fair number of other bigenerics growing and I'm happy in my unprofitable Dr. Frankenstein role.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 11:59PM
udo69

Thank Lisa for you information.

Bromadams. I have fun to do bigeneric crossing. This year lots of my plants flower at the same time. It's an opportunity to cross them. Now I have lots of bigeneric seeds to cultivate. I have numbers of seeds of Neo. mooreana x Cryptanthus lacerdae , Neo. mooreana x Ae.chantinii'Chogun' , Ae.tillandsoides variegata x Bill fasciata F2 and others start germinating. I should wait to see what happens. What they look like. I still have fun.

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
hotdiggetydam
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
Bromiliad rescue
I'm a long time gardener that's new to bromiliads....
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™