What about these seeds?

youreitJune 19, 2007

So this nice lady was REALLY wanting some of my chocolate mint Pelargonium, and it was my first exchange! Very nerve-wracking, since I knew nothing about sending cuttings, etc.

Anyway, she sent ME tons of seeds in return! So thoughtful! And I'm wondering when THE best times are to start these. I've been getting some general advice from Sunset, but individual experiences are priceless.

Here's the list [according to how she marked the packets] -

Chives

Dill

Tarragon

Nest egg gourd seeds [gourds look like eggs]

Hyssop (I'm thinking Hyssopus?)

Catmint

Basil [Genovese]

Parsley

Savory (I'm thinking summer savory?)

Thyme [common]

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)

Hi Brenda, what a nice lady to send you all the goodies. My experience with these herbs has been to plant during the cooler weather. However, you can plant almost anytime & get results. During the hot weather they have a tendency to bolt & I think a lot of the flavors we're trying to get, gets depleted.

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 1:06PM
youreit

Thanks, Pat! I figured these would have to wait until cooler weather for maximum performance. I also have some Centaurea montana seeds that another lady from the Ponds forum sent to me (just for the heck of it, how nice is THAT?). I know those have to wait until fall, as well.

But....Three Palms in Davis is having another sale this weekend. Mom is coming down, and we're going to TRY to limit ourselves this time! But that trip should curb my plant cravings for a while...until the next sale in August, anyway. LOL

Brenda

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 6:28PM
calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)

Oh Brenda....how you make me laugh, now you know when you & your Mom get together you've become known as the "nursery slukers" of the north. That is, you guys just can't pass up a bargain and boy am I jealous! Have a good time and don't forget to post next week all the new goodies! Bob oh boy, it's hot here today!

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™