Notocactus vs Parodia vs ???????

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIMarch 7, 2012

This is the first time I've flowered this plant. Up until now it has been a NOID. Knowing there are several skilled people who frequent this forum, I know someone will come to dear old Doc's assistance and give me a proper name... "Hey, NOID!", is getting very OLD! I know it looks similar to one of my recent postings of Parodia uebelmanniana, but this plant is much lighter green and the spines, while flat, are larger.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

It looks like Parodia werneri to me, which I think is synonymous with Parodia uebelmanniana (also known as Notocactus uebelmanniana). I think there are a number of "names" for this particular cactus. If I remember correctly, the genus Notocactus was "merged" (for a lack of better words) with Parodia and is not as often used with identification. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 10:18PM
cactusmcharris

Notocactus roseoflorus or N. roseoluteus. Not P./N. uebelmanniana, which has a more darkly purple hue, IIRC.

And I learned it as Notocactus - it may be changed, as PM states, to Parodia by the nomenclutter boffins. Surely a nicely-flowering South American glob o' cactus if I've ever seen one.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 8:48AM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I thought many Parodia were lumped into Notocactus. No?

I don't think Howard's plant is Notocactus roseoluteus. Its flowers are larger, with not so pointy petals & the pokeys stick straight out (rather than hug the plant). Blooms are lighter pink as well. Here's a photo of a friend's plant:

Notocactus uebelmannianus blooms change color as they open. The blooms on Howard's plant are larger opened than mine ever were. But I believe that is what you have.

I had 2 similar plants. The blooms never fully opened on the 1 seen below when I took pix. The other I missed seeing blooms altogether! :(

I believe Parodia werneri is a synonym for Notocactus uebelmannianus, as is Parodia crassigibba.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 9:42AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

OK, when I look at the flowers and the plant, they don't look the same. I understand, just as with any plant, there can be variation from same species to same species. Look at the body of my plants: one has larger "nubbins" to form the ribs and is a darker green and the spines are different and the flowers on the right have more rounded tips as Rosemarie has noted. Granted, the plant on the right is a larger plant overall and the plant on the left may change as it gets larger and this may be the difference. I have no problem if they are the same plant. Anyway, a great big thank you to all. And Jeff, you are just too funny!

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 10:21AM
plantomaniac08(8)

bikerdoc5968,
You're welcome. :) Let us know if the cactus you inquired about changes at all over time (flowers or the overall appearance of the cactus), I'd be interested to find out.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
What is this? It says "Mammillaria species"
I know, "Mammillaria species" narrows it...
plantomaniac08
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
Agave - ID & Care
I bought this little plant yesterday - Feb 26. I'd...
bobv2
Jade tree pricing
Okay this may sound like a silly question but a Gollum...
Hamza Nobes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™