Having a tough time
My 10 year old lab, Jackson got some of the last batch of bad food, Authority. They maintained it was the wet, it happened right after I just bought a fresh large bag of the dried. He started vomiting a few days and we just sighed thinking it was his sensitive stomach and he was drinking too much water again in the heat and throwing it all up. He fractured his knee somehow then. We think it happened the last time we had him in for a shampoo. He has a 4" thick coat and at the time weighed close to 120 pounds, on his back legs he can put his legs on my shoulders so he's a big boy. I'm 5'4" so he's also heavy but we think they made him jump down off a table too high and he hurt himself slipping on the linoleum or something. In walks I don't let him up high on anything nor had he fallen anywhere.
Anyways he started limping and we took him in to the vet and she ran tests also when we told her about the vomiting. She said he was in the initial stages of kidney failure but believed we caught it in time, just make sure he had plenty of water at all times but there was nothing else we could do. She still said he was overall very healthy and a happy young at heart dog and gave him a 5 year life expectancy.
Two months later, he threw up 5 times in the house yesterday and day before that the night's dinner came up undigested in the morning. He can't keep his pain meds down for his knee either. My husband took him back to the vet this morning and she ran more tests and I guess his kidneys are totally failing now and other things are going on and she says we're going to have to put him to sleep soon. He's down to 88 pounds. He walked in the house with my husband wagging his tail and happy to see me and how do we do this??? He's not ready to leave and I'm not ready to let go. The vet said it'll be soon. Oh man this is hard.