Speaking of Ants.....

CA KateJuly 22, 2007

I've about had it with the ants. I think I've vacuumed-up a whole colony of ants this past week. For some reason their latest place-of-attack has been the recycling bin (Trash Compactor). I had so many in the bags (3 times now) that I've just sealed the bag with the hordes inside and have taken them to the pick-up bins.

Now it's the ants in the veggie garden..... see post in other part.

The other night I went out to shut the gate and discovered hordes of ants marching 10 by 10 INTO the crawl space beneath the house.... and none going the other direction. Here I am at 10 pm spraying ants with poison in one hand and a BIG flashlight in the other. Now I need to wonder what's going on under the house!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)

Westelle, I had a similar situation about 2 years ago, they were in my kitchen cupboards, dresser drawers in bedrooms, etc. I remembered, finally, that "Grant's Kills Ants" stakes worked very good for me. I got them at super market, followed instructions and the ants were history. They come 10 stakes to a package, I got 4 packs the last time and spotted tham all around inside house and some near foundations and more whereever I saw an ant. Hope this helps. Pat

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 10:09PM
calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)

I also had those tiny little ants in and around the Oleander, Mums, Dahlia, etc. I put stakes close to the main stems and the ants took off or died!

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 10:24PM
youreit

I did the same thing with the stakes, when they were nesting (ugh, I hate that word when it applies to insects!) in my redwood planter with the Pelargoniums. The stakes worked for a long time. I really need to buy some more, though. But...I keep my poison spray handy for those marching colonies coming off the roofline to the hummer feeder and along the front of the house.

I think they know we're having a short water year, and they're on the move for refreshments. :(

Hope you get relief soon, Westelle!

Brenda

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 9:46AM
CA Kate

After DH took out the 4th bag of ants-in-recycling, they all disappeared. I wonder if they had moved their colony in there and we've now taken away enough to end the invasion.

What surprises me, knock on wood, is that, so far, they haven't gotten into the gooey garbage.... a whole feast-in-a-can just waiting for them under the sink.

Those ant sticks don't seem to work here, but maybe I should try again.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 11:46AM
lesdvs9

I have red ants out in the garden. So far they're staying just out in one place.

I also have a terrible budworm infestation, they'll become moths. They're eating up all my roses. Think I'm going to replace the butterfly bushes I thought were so wonderful.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 2:24PM
CA Kate

We just got back from a trip to the Bay. The ants have totally eaten one of the Eggplants. I sprayed them off, but don't have anymore ant killer left. I suppose they came back as fast as I left.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Grow muscat grapes in Bay Area
Hi, I want to grow muscat grapes for eating. Could...
bike2work
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
Have you he@rd of SLOLA?
Great time at seed library meeting in Los Angeles....
Wild Haired Mavens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™