Brown eyed susan

monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))June 29, 2012

What I believe is a brown eyed susan magically appeared in my garden in South Jersey. Thoughts on whether I should keep it or toss it?

-Sandy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
imabirdnut

Do you have Silvery Checkerspots or Gorgone Checkerspot or Bordered Patch butterflies? It is listed as a host plant for all 3.
I have annual "Brown Eyed" Susans as well as Rudbeckia hirta 'Goldstrum' that I have had cats on for the last month. It also is a nectar source...so I guess it is up to you?
I have already collected dried flower heads & will scatter seeds in my new meadow.
Lila

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 2:36PM
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

As far as I know, I don't get any of those. I ended up just moving them to see what happened. I guess this answers my question!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 1:15PM
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

I just can't bring myself to pull up anything that might attract more butterflies to my yard. I'm glad to see you kept it (that's what I would have done as well!) I'm still experimenting with what works here and what doesn't... I do have a salvia (hot lips) that is probably going to go bye-bye this fall. It has kept the carpenter bees happy, but that's it, and I've got plenty of other stuff for them. I'd rather use that space for something that will make my butterflies happy!

~Laura

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:43AM
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

I'm in the same boat. I have such limited space that everything needs to earn its keep! I am glad I kept it. I felt so bad when I dug it out that I just separated it and dug some new holes. Not looking too healthy, but still flowering. I can't blame it, I'm not looking too healthy in this heat wave, either!

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™