propagation of Ananas nanus 'Miniature Pineapple'

thnkfl4plntz(7)October 10, 2008

I purchased a mini pineapple from Logee's and it's had a little pineapple growing for about 3 months now and the top is putting out alot of greenery. I've already repotted it and got a "baby" from it and it is now growing another "baby". But, my question is can I take the little pineapple off the plant and pot it to grow another plant? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? thanks, JOel.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kerry_t_australia(9)

Hi Joel,
I like to leave the pygmy pineapple on the plant for as long as possible, because it is such a cute feature and visitors to my garden always remark on it - even non-gardeners.
When the 'top-knot' is considerably larger than the ripe fruit, it can be easily twisted off the fruit. I peel off several of the bottom tiny leaves to expose the fleshy white base, and place in a dry spot for a week or more. This dries and hardens the base to prevent rotting when planted. It can take quite a while for the new top-knot plantlet to root. Make sure the base is sitting firmly in a standard potting mix in a small pot. I imagine you could also root it first by sitting the plantlet in wet cotton wool on a saucer, and then pot it.

Here is a photo of one of mine with the 'top-knot' getting bigger. It could remain on the plant for another couple of months from this stage.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Kerry

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 2:50AM
stanofh

Okay,we all want to know.Is it edible?.. enough to grace the Christmas ham of the Lilliputians?

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 9:30PM
hotdiggetydam

I wouldn't eat one

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 11:23AM
geoff3147

Ananas nanus was reclassified as Ananas comosus var. ananassoides in 2003 by Coppens d'Eeckenbrugge & Leal --refer BSI Journal July-Aug. 2005, page 187-"The Pineapple" by D. Butcher. Also, refer to "Bromeliaceae Names & Synonyms" book, (p. 18) May 2007 by D. Butcher.

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 12:04PM
kerry_t_australia(9)

Geoff - thanks for that reclassification info. I've noticed that the 'red pineapple' has also been regrouped into the comosus species, and is now Ananas comosus var. bracteatus.

LOL Stan - Gulliver may have enjoyed the pygmy pineapple with his Christmas ham. My much larger daughter tried eating one, but by the time she had cut off the rough skin, she only had the remaining hard core to chew on...

K

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 9:24PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Thanks to Kerry! The information was very helpful to me.

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:30PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I found two more good articles:

http://www.gardenguides.com/109064-miniature-pineapple-plant-care.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Dwarf-Pineapples

I found information under these various key words: Ananus nanus, dwarf pineapple, pygmy pineapple, pink pineapple, miniature pineapple, Mini me pineapple.

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:33

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
Dekumask
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™