Osage Oranges....

CA KateOctober 30, 2008

... or Hedge Apples: I have been looking for these since we moved to CA to put in the closets against spiders and moths. I found a site that sells them thru a link on the thread "Speaking of Gophers". I bought 8 -- one for each closet and under the beds.

Why my obsession: I've never had a biting-spiders-in-the-closet problem anywhere we've ever lived.... except here in CA. I used to be able to buy an insect thingy for the closets from HD -- a J&J product, but CA must have outlawed it because I can't find it anywhere.

My daughter lived in Benicia for awhile. I put one of these thingys in each of her closets. An hour later the outside of her closets were lined with spiders escaping the inside of the closets. The site was unbelievable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lesdvs9

What's a biting spider look like??

How've you been Westelle? I'm enjoying the cooler weather for sure myself:)

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 5:28PM
CA Kate

I haven't a clue what they look like since they're so tiny. I got the Osage Oranges yesterday and put them n the closets immediately. I hope they work because I'm sure tired of getting bit from inside my clothes.

J&J used to make an anti-bug/spiders/moths thing for closets that worked so good, but I haven't seen them in years.... probably can't be sold in CA.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 12:50AM
lesdvs9

I have the house sprayed, a strict leave the grass/garden/fences alone policy though. I don't want the beneficials I'm encouraging in the garden harmed or all my toads, I had a bumper crop of praying mantis this year to counter act the bumper crop of aphids that destroyed the roses end of April. I can't stand spiders though. I'll have to look these up, I do get some little ones that make webs under the counter in my bath, never had them in my walk in closet though. If they're a problem in this area I want to know, ugh. I'll have to check it and anti methods, if I find anything new I'll let you know. This is not the recluse spider though?

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 5:07PM
CA Kate

Not Recluse.... Hide-in-the-Pajama kind.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 12:02AM
CA Kate

So far no new bites. The Osages are beginning to rot and so need to be removed any day now, but I'd say they did the job. I wonder if I can start any of the seeds. I'll have to cut them open to see what's in there.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Where to find a 'zone' map
I used to have a map to tell me what zone im in, but...
jkcali
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™