Help with Aloe and Christmas Cactus!

anna_in_michiganJuly 5, 2011

I have had an Aloe for a few years now. It's had a rough time, so I was surprised recently to find it was throwing pups! This (while it was wonderful) seems to have come at a bad time because I had just replanted and am still trying to figure out the watering schedule. I went from typical soil to cactus/succulent soil, so the watering is different and the poor Aloe has suffered a bit at my hands, going soft and mushy at times and losing a leaf every few weeks. Soft and mushy is from too little/too much water?

I read online to separate the pups at about 1" tall, let them callous over for 48 hours, and then set on top of soil and mist. I now think that 1" was much to small. I separated 4 pups, put them in their own terra cotta pots and misted. After 3-4 weeks, only one seems to have developed roots and the rest kind of look deflated and brown. Can I bring these pups back to life? I left three pups around the mother plant and they are thriving and about 3" tall. I read that crowding the mother plant can encourage blooming, but mostly I am just afraid that if I separate these pups they will go the way of the others. Can I get any advice?

Also, I have a Christmas Cactus that I recently noticed little buds on. I paid extra attention to it, excited at the thought of it blooming. However, it has been about 2 months and the buds seem to have frozen in time as small little pink spots on the tips of some of the leaves. Additionally, a few joints have fallen off and were really soft. I usually keep the soil moist and have it sitting on a moisture tray for humidity, but there were a few days where it was much dryer than it should have been when we were out of town. Does this account for losing some joints? Is there any way I can get these buds to grow again and become blooms?

I know it's a lot of questions, thanks for your help! :) You guys are so helpful to those of us who were not born with a green thumb but who still love to nurture growing things! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightbloomers

I can't help with your aloe,but it sounds like your schlumbergera is being overwatered.When overwatered it will lose branchs.Let branchs dry out a few days and try rooting them.(overwatered schlums will chervil up and you may think they are thirsty so you water agian.)Better to be a little dry than to moist.The buds on the tips are new growth.Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Id this succulent
My friend has this at home, it's so pretty! Can you...
succulover
Surprise Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. friedrichii polypoid seed pod
Hi, Just wanted to share. This seed pod by color and...
dirt_farmer
Order of posts
I'm confused - the top post seems to be from January...
marguerite_gw
What kind of cactus is this?
My husband brought me a tall thin cactus back from...
gin54
Echinocereus viridiflorus in the snow
I have a lot of nice hardy cacti in my outdoor rock...
cactus_cowboy
Sponsored Products
Lucy Rug 3'3" x 5'3" - TAUPE
$499.00 | Horchow
Black Glass Free Standing Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
Darlee San Marcos Chaise Lounge Chair - DL2013-33/303
$839.99 | Hayneedle
Pacifica 3-light Empire Silver Bath Fixture
Overstock.com
Sea Gull Lighting Lemont 4-light Burnt Sienna Vanity Fixture
Overstock.com
Laminate Molding & Trim: Home Legend Flooring High Gloss Makena Koa 3/4 in.
$15.98 | Home Depot
Louetta Rug 8'6" x 11'6" - GRAY
$1,069.00 | Horchow
Polar Bear Bell Ornament
$7.49 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™