Another winner

CA KateNovember 4, 2007

Did I mention that I also am/did process the Olives from my little tree, all 3 #s of them. I couldn't get any lye so I processed part in water and part in a brine solution. The brine jar will probably be done this week, but the water one was done 2 weeks ago so I put those olives in the final brine/vinegar/herb/lemon peel/oil solution to hang out until Thanksgiving. A neighbor and I stole a taste today and are they good! Yaaaaaaaaa!

It's always such a relief when something that has taken so long to make finally does indeed come out good.

Now there is a recipe for Pear Ginger Liqueur that sounds interesting to try.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

I'm glad it all worked out, even without the lye, Westelle! The last time we were over there, I completely forgot to ask DFIL what he used this year instead of lye. And they even had the huge jars lined up in the kitchen and were adding massive amounts of garlic to most of them. I swear, I'm losing my mind. :D

I love the buttery/salty flavor of the plain olives, but DH prefers getting his breath all stinky with the garlic ones. LOL

Pear-anything Liqueur sounds VERY yummy! MMMMM!

Brenda

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 8:47AM
CA Kate

lpinkmountain 5b/6a border PA (My Page) on Wed, Oct 31, 07 at 21:06

Here's something that might be fun to try, from one of my favorite out of print books, "The Herbal Pantry" by Emilie Tolley.

Pear Ginger Liqueur

8 very ripe pears, about 4 cups
2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
4 cups vodka
1/2 cup white wine
-------------------------
2 cups sugar
1 cup water

Combine the pears, ginger, vodka and wine in a large jar with a tight-fitting cover. Place in a cool dark place to steep for one month.

Crush the pears slightly with a wooden spoon or potato masher and steep for another 4 days.

Strain the liquid, pressing and much juice as possible from the pears, then filter.

Boil the sugar and water together in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved; cool, then gradually stir into the liquer, tasting as you go. When the liqueur has reached the desired level of sweetness, bottle and age for an additional 3 weeks in a cool, dark place.

You could then probably add this to taste to warm wine. Could also probably use red wine in the recipe.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 12:48PM
youreit

That sounds so delicious. I especially like the "tasting as you go" part. LOL By the time I got it right, I'd be thinking, Thish tashtesh great! *hiccup* :D

Brenda the Lightweight

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
One positive to the drought..
When I do water? TONS of water pressure!..never seen...
stanofh
Sponsored Products
Edgemont Brushed Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture
$117.90 | Bellacor
Personalized Decorative Baroque Pet Feeder
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
32 Inch Stainless Steel Undermount 60/40 Double D-Bowl Offset Kitchen Sink - 16
eModern Decor
Classic Lighting Corporation Emily Three-Light Vanity Light
$432.00 | LuxeDecor
American Drew Jessica Mcclintock The Boutique Collection Upholstered Arm Chair -
$790.00 | Hayneedle
Furniture of America Floral and Hearts Twin over Twin Bunk Bed - IDF-BK119
$759.98 | Hayneedle
Canto Chrome Two-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Bicolor Green and Yellow
$256.50 | Bellacor
Fadeaway Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™