3 more Monarch cats...

LeafheadJune 13, 2013

I just got back from checking on my little cat over at the job, and decided to check for more hatching eggs on the Milkweed. I found a #2 instar I missed from the first fly thru and two newly hatched cats. I immediately picked a top off a nearby mw and transferred them both onto it c a sharpened pencil. They are now all happily feasting alongside my #3 on common mw.
All my little ones at home, 4 in all, are doing fine and just entered #2 instars. I changed their mw and goaded them onto it c a toothpick. They get easier to work with as they get older.
Each mw sprig is mounted in moist floral foam on a clay saucer and covered c a wide glass vase. All four are munching on Swamp mw.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Neato!!! Congrats on the find. :o)

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:30PM
cghpnd

Hooray! !! Congratulations.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:27PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

It's always good to hear that someone has Monach cats, especially this year when they seem really rare. Enjoy!

Sandy

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:20PM
Leafhead

Thank you all for all the congrats and well wishes:)
Grand total as it stands... 13 between my private garden and my job site gardens:-D. I found 5 more little hatchlings when I got home, just happened to see telltale damage on my incarnatas.
I have yet to see a Monarch in flight, including the ELFs that laid these eggs. I did however, see an American Lady at both gardens. I think I'm going to have a butterfly season after all, and there will be 13 more of these rare beauties for the long trip home.
Not to mention all the ALs

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:41AM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

John,

So glad to hear you have babies to raise. I hope mama Monarch continues to leave you lots of eggs.

There have been so few sightings this year. I keep checking the Monarch Watch map and there aren't many dots on it so far this season.

Mary

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:04AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

You've inspired me to take another walk down to the unmowed field on my road. I've not seen or heard of much/any Monarch activity in Michigan. But, someone has to be the first to find them, right? We've had a ton of rain this spring, but there have been plenty of sunny stretches, as well. Everything is certainly green and healthy.

Keep up the good work!

Martha

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:46AM
Leafhead

Hope you are visited soon:) Maybe one of mine will make it up your way...

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 4:21PM
terrene(5b MA)

Congrats on your babies! I've got 4 BST cats but no Monarchs yet.

According to Journey north, they have been sighted in the northeast. i haven't seen any yet, but maybe I should check out the (fairly) large wild patches about a mile down the street. We've had tons of rain in the past few week, which may not be their preferred weather, but it has made everything green and lush. My common milkweed is 2-3 feet tall and budding. There is plenty of food for them here.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™