Seed pod? mamillaria

isobella(Z9 Florida)August 21, 2006

hi, I would like to know what the redish pod on my mamilaria Mytax (?)is. Is it a seed pod? the cactus has a couple flowers sometime ago. Although not the usual all full crown of little flowers as I saw it before. (Spring?)

tia for any info. also, why is it so difficult to get seed pods from the cactus? I do have mine outside for polination (?)

isobella

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Reddish pod sounds like a seedpod (or fruit). Can't really tell from the picture but if it isn't a flower then there isn't much it can be except a fruit.

Most Mammillaria are not self-fertile, so you need two of them to get fruit. Different species don't cross easily so two different Mammillaria will not normally give you much fruit. Depending where you live, the pollinators may not be suitably equipped to pollinate efficiently.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 12:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_nz

Sure looks like a seed pod. A typically red seed pod of a Mammillaria. No guarantee that it will contain seeds however. Slit the pod and wash out any seeds to get rid of the flesh. Dry them and sow them at an appropriate time of season.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 3:58AM
More Discussions
Cactus ID
Hi guys, Could you help me ID this cactus? It's growth...
sugi_c
Id this one for me please!
The tall one in the back, thanks!
vngavnga
What is this succulent?
A friend gave me a lot of this succulent, but she didn't...
fre2bme64
Need help identifying
Not sure what plant this is
amy1980
Echinocereus viridiflorus in the snow
I have a lot of nice hardy cacti in my outdoor rock...
cactus_cowboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™