Tillandsias blooming twice?

caligrown(9b)October 31, 2013

Hey all, around 7 months ago one of my Tillandsias bloomed. Fast forward to about a week ago the tillasdsia has already reverted back to green and has produced two almost mature offsets. I changed the light for my geckos enclosure(I keep a few bromeliads in there) The pant started to color up within a day of me changing the light. Yesterday I noticed a flower starting to emerge. How many of you have had this happen to you before. I have been growing bromeliads for 5 years now and every brom that has bloomed for me has died within 3 years besides my Dyckia's.

Here is a picture of it flowering 7 months ago.

Here is a picture of it yesterday.

Thanks for any information your able to provide me.

Regards, Patrick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
o2tiller(N/A)

I've never had it happen with my collection, but never say never! About a year ago, I recall reading about someone in Canada having a T. ionantha mother plant bloom twice (blooms were about 6 months apart). No pictures were provided, so I took it with a grain of salt, per se.

I have seen a few of my ionanthas start to re-blush after flowering and producing pups. The mother slowly reverted back to a green color after flowering, and then flushed with a less intense pinkish/red coloration near the uppermost top of the plant sometime later.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 11:51AM
caligrown(9b)

Thank you for the info. I figured it was kind of rare. Ill see if I can dig up more pictures of the first bloom to prove its the same plant. A second flower emerged today.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:22PM
gonzer_gw

It happens frequently with T. ionantha and it's cultivars. Your plant is ionantha var. stricta forma fastigiata.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Anybody want to ID these Tillandsias?
I got 7 Tillandsias yesterday from a small store.....
MrBlubs
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™