Two Tigers and a Black Swallowtail

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)June 25, 2012

The tiger swallowtail that I found as a caterpillar on a cherry tree on April 11th has finally emerged - it's a black female! A female black swallowtail in the same cage with her also emerged - I found her MUCH later than April 11th! Not long after I found that the black tiger had emerged, I saw a yellow tiger flying around in another cage, this one being the one I found on sweetbay magnolia about a ?month after I found the wild black cherry cat. So I released them all at the same time. I've been seeing several other tigers in my garden, so they shouldn't have any problems finding a mate, maybe they'll even mate with each other!

I got a picture of the black female -

And the male -

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

So beautiful!
~Laura

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:45PM
GenieEric

Ohhh ... you are so fortunate! My first Eastern Black Swallowtail eclosed a few days ago, and I'm waiting for two more. Hopefully the five cats I have right now will make it all the way through.

I have seen a tiger swallowtail fluttering around my yard for over a month, but had not made a point of obtaining any host plants for it. I'm on a mission now, as one spent 10 minutes checking out every plant in my yard, apparently looking for a suitable place to deposit eggs. It was not nectaring ... just checking things out.

One of my local nurseries has a Sweet Bay that I shall check out. The other had a tuliptree (for $50) that I will have to pass on.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 7:03PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, I am fortunate to live in the country where there are a lot of butterflies!

The plant I find tiger cats on most commonly is wild black cherry/Prunus serotina, a tree. Around here, it's practically a weed, so I'm using it to raise the three tiger cats I found most recently on Ptelea trifoliata, another bush or small tree they use. Tigers use a real wide variety of host plants, mostly trees, from many different families, so I'm sure you can find a good tiger host!

Sherry

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 10:01PM
NaturesFolly(West MI 5)

I was just reading on another site that said that the only time you will get black females is where there are alot of pipevine females also.
the site also said that sasafrass is a host plant.. I have a ton of that around my house and I have only seen one female with very tattered wings.. I should go check those trees over really well.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 9:01AM
terrene(5b MA)

Beautiful! I have already observed a female ETS ovipositing on the Black cherry trees in my yard this Spring - but she is always up WAY too high for me to collect the eggs.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™