A mixed bag of goodies

xerophyte_nyc(7)September 1, 2006

New photos taken today, any questions, just ask, glad to be of help

Dioscorea elephantipes caudex, about 8 yrs-old from seed, just starting to vine, Adromischus cristatus to the right

Pachypodium namaquanum, started as a seedling ~10 yrs ago, it's starting to lean towards the sun, which they are known to do

Pachypodium saundersii(?), can't remember exactly

Pacypodium brevicaule

Pseudolithos migiurtinus flower close-up, the ruffles on the petal tips are quite comical looking as they sway in the breeze

Huernia (sp?) bloom

Euphorbia caput-medusae, strange looking plant

Mammillaria luethyi close-up (not grafted, I HATE grafts) - each tubercule has a parasol of spines, very intricate

Mammillaria bocasana

Hawaorthia truncata, started as a single small plant about 10 yrs ago

Astrophytum asterias x coahuilensis...mathematics and nature go hand in hand

Astrophytum "Super Kabuto"

Aztekium ritteri, 9 yrs old from seed

Aloes, over 15 yrs old from seed, the one on the right looks like Aloe ferox, I don't know the others, anyone else know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hablu(z8 Netherlands)

Very impressive!! The Luethyi is marvelous. Harry

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 3:27PM
xerophyte_nyc(7)

I love plants that have shape, color and texture that can be appreciated from way up close, micro-nature is fantastic

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 9:10AM
ooojen(z4MN)

Wonderful stuff! I agree about enjoying up close and personal views of plants, and yours are beauties -- every one of them!
It's interesting, I've been wanting M. leuthyi for a while. I just found an online source, but I passed because I didn't like the look of the "lollipop" grafts. (It can have different rootstock, but it should be discrete.)

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 2:03PM
xerophyte_nyc(7)

I got the mamm luethyi a few years back on ebay non-grafted...however, while I don't know for sure I really think they were collected from the wild so I was very upset when I received the plants - they looked too large to have been seed grown.

I unknowingly helped to support the illegal collection of plants from their habitats. I make sure to take extra special care of that plant because I now know that it is not readily available on it's own roots. But as you can see from the photos I think the plant is happy and hence so am I.

I've heard they root easily from cuttings, so you could buy a grafted plant and take some cuttings off of it. I've also seen seed available if you have some patience.

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 4:02PM
hirsuta

Beautiful plants - all of them. Impressive pachy's. The middle Aloe looks alot like Aloe cryptopoda -

H

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 12:29AM
Pieter(Spain)

You have some great looking plants there. M. luethyi is very easy to root. Just buy yourself a grafted plant, wait for some sprouts, cut them off and root them. No difficulties in doing this at all. They're very similar to M. theresae in care.
Pieter

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 3:28PM
drtygdnr(Southern Cali. Zone 10)

I second that Hirsuta, A. cryptopoda or A. wickensii I forget which is current.

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 9:13PM
sjv78736(austin texas)

"Pseudolithos migiurtinus flower close-up, the ruffles on
the petal tips are quite comical looking as they sway in the breeze"

i've done a lot of snorkeling and kept marine fish for many years....this reminds me much of something i'd see at a reef. very kewl! a great pic, as all they are! TFS
jo

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 2:56AM
More Discussions
Id this succulent
My friend has this at home, it's so pretty! Can you...
succulover
Cactus ID
Hi guys, Could you help me ID this cactus? It's growth...
Sugi_C
Bunny Ears:)
They've been getting tall and skinny so I got a light....
cooperdr_gw
Help with identifying this cactus
Hi Everyone. I got this cactus at the Huntington Garden...
oregonplantnut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™