An Underappreciated Plant Is...

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)June 17, 2012

bottlebrush buckeye. I only have one plant, and I thought I'd lost it after the hurricane, because a big pine tree fell on it. I didn't see it again for several years, then it popped up a few years ago from the root! I usually order some plants in the spring, then pot them up and plant them out in the fall or winter, so I think next spring's plants will be bottlebrush buckeyes. They like shade, and there's plenty of that in my woods. The only negative is that they only bloom once a year, but it's at a time when few native plants are blooming, at least not any that are rich in nectar.

It's blooming now - only one big bloom - and the butterflies are enjoying it. It must have a good bit of nectar, because once a butterfly gets on it, they stay a long time, really working the flowers, and run off any other butterfly that wants to join them. This female pipevine swallowtail spent a LONG time on it.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tepelus z6a SW MI

The Hayes Presidential Center here in Fremont Ohio has a good sized stand of this plant. It is starting to bloom now. I like the way it looks and wouldn't mind a stand of it in my yard.

Karen

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 8:44PM
nel.nucifera(8a)

Sherry, beautiful photo! Thanks for sharing. I must now update my trade list!

-Nel

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:08PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I don't think I've ever seen one. I will have to check what the bloom time would be here.
I still have a gap between spring blooming plants and summer blooming plants when there's not enough in my yard for the butterflies to nectar on but I'm working on it. I planted a lot of seedlings this year.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:40AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, Karen, a stand of it would look good most anywhere!

And Nel, maybe somebody will have a buckeye (the seed pod) to swap. The critters get mine before they ripen.

Christie, the main value of this plant, to me, is its odd bloom time. Having these in the woods would be nice for the butterflies and probably moths also.

This male spicebush swallowtail was working it a little while ago. The shadows fell on him in such a way as to make his wings look different.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™