'Aloe vera' or not?

aseedisapromiseSeptember 11, 2006

There was a question on the C&S forum as to what really is an Aloe vera plant. How about this one?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drtygdnr(Southern Cali. Zone 10)

Looks like A. vera to me. What people and myself would call "True Aloe vera". Yours is lacking a bit in sunlight that's why it is so thin looking.

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 11:20PM
borrego(Z 10 L.A. Cal.)

Dirtygardener is right. Lacking a bit of light, but getting enough to flower..........

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 12:49AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Wow, you did that indoors? Congratulations, mighty cool, I hadn't thought blooming Aloes indoors was likely; good work! What exposure is that window?

Drtygdnr,

What pls. do you mean by 'thin'? The leaves look nicely plump to me, plant's not tall or leggy, so what pls. are you referring to?

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 10:29AM
aseedisapromise

As to the exposure of the window, it is a south window, of course. In winter I keep my cacti in an upstairs, unheated bedroom that stays about 50 degrees in the deep winter. It is my ace in the hole here in South Dakota. Can't afford a greenhouse....

Gee, I never thought to put the aloe outside in the summer like I do the cacti. Duh!

I do think that my plants don't really get the light inside that they do outside like they did the couple years I lived in San Diego. They don't get the soil mealybugs and scales like they did then, so that is the trade off. I do think the bloom stalk of my plant in particular is longer than some on pictures of aloes growing outside. But I do the best I can.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 7:37PM
borrego(Z 10 L.A. Cal.)

I would have made the same 'thin leaves' comment, but Dirty beat me to it. It refers not to the thickness of the leaf, but rather the width and length. They look a bit 'etoliated'. Stretched.
Obviously, she is doing plenty right. Plant is flowering indoors, leaves are plump. I would call this a great success.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 10:42PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Must be the upstairs cool that prompted it to bloom (am guessing). So is that to say you barely water it in that cool winter? Well done indeed!

Gee, I wish my Aloes would think the same (they're in west window, next to the glass which does get cold in winter).

Borrego, thx for clarifying the "thin" comment.

(PG) Karen

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Damaged Prickly Pear Help
I have a smallish prickly pear (7 pads) in a pot on...
greenish_thumb
help ID opuntia from colorado
i recieved this from colorado. my friend says its seen...
cactusgrower313
Id this one for me please!
The tall one in the back, thanks!
vngavnga
Need ID on a plant in South Maui
After driving past this area or South Maui for at least...
chisue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™