Variegated Fritillary!

Lisa_H(7)June 24, 2012

I forgot to get a picture of it while it was still a caterpillar, but I did catch one as it was making its cocoon. And the next day I looked....and look how pretty it is!!!

The cocoon is stuck to a piece of paper towel, and not to a stick, do I need to attach him to a stick so it has room to move when it comes out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Don't move it, just put it in a place where it can climb up something to unfold, pump up and dry his or her wings until it can fly before you release it.

Variegated fritillary chrysalides are so pretty! I usually get the plainer brown and white ones, but occasionally I get a white one like yours.

Congrats, congrats!

Sherry

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 3:39PM
Lisa_H(7)

He hid under the paper towel. I wonder if that made a difference in the coloring.

Thanks, I have a net laundry basket thing I usually put them in. I will move it to that.

I took it to church this morning to "show and tell" :) I had brought the caterpillar for one of the VBS classes, so now they could see the chrysalis. It was fairly tolerant of all the oohs and aaaahs, until I picked it up. OOOOHHH, he was not happy and shook himself at me :)

Lisa

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 3:46PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

The white paper towel may have indeed made the difference. The only white ones I've got a picture of were also under a white paper towel -

But here's a regular one, also under a white paper towel -

They must really prefer paper towel pupation! :)

Sherry

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 5:49PM
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

All of mine so far have been white but they have all attached to the mesh on my habitat (it's white mesh.) But that's very interesting because I didn't realize they were different colors.

~Laura

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:55PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Those look so cool! That makes me want to try different colors next time to see what happens. : )

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™