Is this a flower or weed & what's it named?

calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)May 26, 2008

Is this a weed or flower? Name Please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

Pat, that looks like a Verbascum my mom has found growing in her yard. It was ID'd for me by GardenGuru (Joe) when I posted a pic of it, last year, I think, but I can't remember the specific cultivar now. I'm pretty sure it's either V. blattaria (moth mullein) or V. virgatum (wand mullein), which are both perennials.

To me, it's not a weed, but to each his own, since it's not a native. It has self-sown in a specific area in Mom's yard, and it's always so pretty when in bloom. She doesn't water it or do anything extra. In fact, it's in the area around their burn pile, believe it or not. LOL

If you like it, keep it! Otherwise, just don't let it set seed. They have a deep taproot, too.

Brenda

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 9:02AM
calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)

Thanks Brenda, since most of the yard is going to weeds, I just as well have the pretty ones, so it'll stay! Have some dahlias coming along now, lots of Bachelor Buttons, some Salvia & of course the roses!

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 10:23AM
youreit

That's a good choice, Pat, and the flowers really are so pretty, aren't they? Especially up close, where you can see the colors in the center.

I'm trying my first Dahlia this year, given to me by...yep, Mom...LOL...and either the slugs or the earwigs are eating the bejeezus out of it! It's in a pot, so I'm going to try the container beer trick to see what I get. It was coming up so nicely, too...

If that doesn't work, I'll just drink the beer and forget my troubles. :D

Brenda

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™