Is it a Snowberry Clearwing cat?

linda_tx8(8)June 16, 2013

I've been wondering what was eating my Coral Honeysuckle, so I was checking the foliage. Is it really what I think it is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Cool! I can't answer your question, but if Susan sees it, she can. She has raised the Clearwing moths before. DId you check out Bugguide? They have images of larvae.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 4:21PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Based upon the bugguide.net pics and also my Caterpillars of Eastern North American guide, it sure looks like the right ID to me! Congrats! Lucky find!

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:20PM
linda_tx8(8)

bandjzmom, that book is where I found it. But wasn't sure. I checked BugGuide and these look like many of those pics. I haven't found any big late instar cats yet or any itty-bitties, but various sizes in between. There's a bunch of them, don't know how many yet. I did a quick check a while back when I first noticed the damage on the plant, but didn't find anything. With skeeters all over, it was too hard to stand out there and really check better then. Yay! Haven't had these cats before!

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 6:27PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

YES! You indeed have a Hemaris diffinus. Very easy to raise, a last instar is about the same size as a Monarch. I'm attaching info from. Bill Oehlke' s website. Be sure to look for the brown form, too.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Snowberry Clearwing

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:47AM
Leafhead

Awesome:-) I have seen adults in the garden but never found a cat. I have plenty of "trash" honeysuckle, (invasive) for them to feed on, and have just added some Viburnum to the garden. Looking for Snowberry to add to my Caprifoliaceae region...

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:40AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Congrats, congrats on your darling caterpillar!

Sherry

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:11AM
linda_tx8(8)

Thanks all! I had seen the adult on rare occasion in the past. Sneaky mother...I may have gotten a glimpse of her flying, now that I think about it, but didn't get a good look. Susan, thanks for the link, and I'll be going over that later! How many did you raise?

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:24AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I've raised several over many years. In later instars I put layers of paper towels in the bottom of the rearing container for population.

Susan

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:58AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I meant pupation. I'm on a roll today, yeegads!!!

Susan

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 12:12PM
linda_tx8(8)

Oh, that's not bad at all! At least you spelled both words right. Here's another pic of one of the cats. BTW, I didn't find any brown ones on the plant!.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:28PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Linda, here is a very old, not-so-good image of an early instar cat on my honeysuckle.

I hope I get to find some this year.

Live that chomping face in your photo.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Forn Hemaris diffinus Early Instar

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:50AM
More Discussions
Aristolochia fimbriata seeds for trade
I have a lot (probably 100+) of fresh seed from my...
CrazyPlantLady1
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
pls.help me ID these guys:-)
Hello! I am currently here in. Tampa, Florida, took...
hawaiiponder34
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™