Help! What recourse do I take for this?

KurtronMarch 3, 2013

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie green thumb and live in a climate with long harsh winters. So I have been raising some plants inside my room. I bought this succulent cactus from a greenhouse that had super duper brilliant light and was very humid, enough so that it was in artificially in bloom. I moved it into my room in my house, probably about a 70% reduction in light. It lost a lot of 'branches' but I assumed it was due to the shock of transfer. But having it for a few months now, it doesn't seem to be thriving, but it is still surviving. Never the less, it seemed to be enduring just fine, but I checked it and noticed that it had some kind of fungus growing on it! I am at a loss of what to do about it. Help please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Take a look at some carbuncled Echeveria/hybrids of Echeveria gibbiflora. I don't think that's a fungus; it looks like it's an awesome E. gibb. hybrid to me. Young plants won't develop the carbuncles until they're a bit more mature.

That said, it's not going to live indoors, or it'll barely survive and keep worsening. It needs full sun, and shock of transfer has nothing to do with the leaf loss, really. It's not going to come back from this if its conditions don't change for the better. Echeveria aren't indoors plants.

Now, long, harsh winters I understand...in that case you've gotta make do and water very little, and keep them going until you can get them outside again.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 19:47

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 7:42PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I believe teatree (Colleen) has it figured out. I would look up the word carunculated (although carbuncled is close for a description) Echeveria. If it isn't that, we need a more clear pic of your leaves.

Maybe you can tell us...can this stuff be wiped off your leaf?

Good advice for your succulent from Colleen. =)

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:00PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Well, on second look...maybe there are two circular pink-ish areas on the leaf, one toward the center and the other toward the end of the leaf. I'm not sure (the photo quality)..?

Yeaaah, should have typed "carunculated" instead. :)

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 10:41PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I'm not pickin' on ya, Colleen...really! I've noticed several people use that term instead of carunculated.

I, too, did not notice those circular spots till you mentioned it. Ha looked at the photo on my phone initially. Now on laptop, it's more obvious. It's possible this plant is infected w/a virus. If so, I'm not sure there's anything you can do to help it, other than cut off infected areas & hope new leaves will grow w/o this ailment (but not positive about that). I would quarantine it from any other plants you have, just in case.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 10:12AM
Kurtron

Thanks for your insights everyone. The carunculated growths are pretty cool, hey? (I too didn't know what they were called...) ANd yes, in fact I was referring to those circular growth spots... I did try wiping them away, but they were growing out of the plant itself. I decided to cut off the infected branches and hope for the best. I will have to wait until the spring to take it somewhere for a more permanent settlement! As of now I have it in the most sunlight available so we'll see how it fairs...

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
growing succulents from seeds
Is there a special trick to growing succulents from...
Britni Rice
Can someone identify this succulent
Would like to know the name of this succulent and does...
enjoyingspring
Spring repots anyone???
I've already started my Spring repots even though it's...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Shriveling Ferocactus Latispinus
Hey y'all ! I'm having an issue with my Devil's tongue...
_sbgibbons_
Sponsored Products
Bramble - Cape Cod Kitchen Cabinet Narrow - 25877
Great Furniture Deal
Setai Floor Lamp by SONNEMAN Lighting
$1,750.00 | Lumens
Barstool Arm Chair in Mustard
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
Strada Ikat Sateen All Cotton Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Adesso Lamps Middleton Black Wood 53 In. Floor Lantern 3671-01
Home Depot