Let's see your babies!

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALMarch 24, 2013

Misc. leaves I put in a pot that had space, about 2 weeks ago...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Graptosedum babies are twice as big as they were in Jan., when I got this plant. So cute! The donor leaves have shriveled and gone away.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:56PM
kaktuskris

Some Haworthia pups I separated today.

Christopher

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 6:41PM
hanzrobo(11)

Babies? I've got babies!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:00AM
hanzrobo(11)

It's like a day care center up in here!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:01AM
hanzrobo(11)

Attack of the Clones!

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:05AM

Oh those are so cute! How could I have not been doing this sooner? These plants propagate so easily, quickly, and produce devastatingly cute microscopic plants. What's funny is the Thanksgiving cactus pieces I started before anything else are clearly growing roots but are not yet making little leaves like these others. When they finally do, will take a pic.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:16AM
wweidele(6)

Nice pics I'm still waiting on mine they just started showing growth.. I love the daycare center lol

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:34PM
fanhui3

Hi. Do I leave the leave cuttings above the soil or do I stick it into the dirt? From what i know, the budding will grow from the cut section. Should it not be stuck into the ground?

On the other hand, the root grows from there too. So if we leave it above the dirt, will the root grow into the soil?

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:41AM

Hi Fan, welcome to Gardenweb! What are you trying to propagate?

When the leaves fall at a store, they take root on the surface of the plants. I've seen a bunch of babies in pots, and you can see from the position of the original fallen leaf that nobody stuck the end in, and we know that's just not something done purposely in that venue.

At home, people can't resist the urge to tuck in the end, seen soooo many pics of it, but it probably increases the risk of rotting.

Sending good vibes to your cuttings, WW!

This is the same pot as my 1st pic above, from the other side. The one leaf is making its' baby on the other side.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:14PM
fanhui3

Hi. This is the plant i am trying to grow. You see, since it has grown from the cutting, I am wondering when shall I even stick it into the soil. Should I leave it like this till it gets bigger?

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 2:52PM

Are there roots? It needs a way to grow roots before the mama leaf shrivels away. I hope someone chimes in, asking me is like the blind trying to lead the blind...

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 4:17PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

You could put it on top of the soil, just barely in the mix, lean the leaf against the edge of a small pot & most important, do not water.

Then pls. leave it undisturbed for a while, like a couple of wks for it to sink roots, it may also put out tiny new leaves at the same time. I'd wait to see new leaves before watering it.

Watering this youngster before it has roots would likely rot it, which is why I keep saying not to water it. This is nicely developed thus far, am guessing it'll root quickly for you, you may even be able to see the new roots as they start to appear. Have fun!

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:28PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Haworthia limifolia babies, separated from their Mom earlier this year.

A sprig of Thanksgivings Cactus that I'd found w/ white buds. Just stuck it in a pot w/ a Begonia temporarily, but it took, so I left it alone, it has since added another leaf onto that young one.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 12:27AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

New shoots on one of my ZZ plants. They usually appear in Sept. & Feb. These appeared in Dec. this year, on both of my ZZs so it must be OK. Someone recently asked here (or at HP) how long it takes these new shoots to unfurl. I'd guess maybe 4-6 days or so.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 12:36AM
fanhui3

Actually, there is some roots that is developed on the underside. :) so do I start watering them already?

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:55AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

No, not yet, pls. do as I suggested & wait to see new leaves.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:12AM
lme5573

Hobbit leaf started in Oct 2012. I see at least 3 tiny babies, but none of them look like Hobbits yet. Maybe I'll get something else. :-)
Lennie in Michigan

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:58AM
FrugalFanny(4)

So cute! PG, I am very interested in your ZZ. It looks so healthy and happy! Mine never grows. What are your growing conditions?

FF

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:44PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi FF,

Thx, ZZs are pretty slow growing plants as a rule. I tend to use these as med. to lower light plants. I keep these (I have 2) abt 10 ft. away from a west window. My home gets a fair amount of bright indirect light, especially in the afternoon. I water these infrequently maybe twice a month, tho, now abt weekly, w/ the new growth.

Here's one of them

and the other

Pix from last Aug. before this flush of new growth. (Sorry to digress your thread Purple, but she asked.)

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:25PM
notolover(5)

Here are some little cactus babies, one from seed that germinated under the mother plant (the one closest to the penny), one I found on the bottom of a box of hybrids I got and two I cut off a dying chamaecereus hybrid.

Trying to give them some TLC. Other succulents seem like they grow a lot easier from leaves.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 1:06PM

An update on the little Graptosedum babies, 2nd pic from the top. They're turning the prettiest color, more purple in person than this pic.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:07AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

gorgeus babies everyone, good discussion idea purple!!!

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:15AM
FrugalFanny(4)

Notolover, WOW! So teeny! I would never have guessed they were that small without the penny.

Cute babies, everybody! My BF always says they look like fruit snacks:) Well, minus the spiny ones!

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:05AM
dannie317

It's so strange how different some jades looks as babies! Here's my little gollum, finally looking like one. The first leaves looked like the wee hobbit above! Though it will hurt me to do it, I think I may pinch this guy a bit to strengthen his stem. He's not 2 inches tall and he's already top heavy!

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 2:50PM
dannie317

Here's some haworthia mutica pups I separated from a plant that was getting too crowded. It's been two weeks, and they've all plumped back up but the one on the right. Hopefully it takes off soon.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™