Lost name tag

houstonpat(9a)March 1, 2012

I lost the tag to this one. Does anyone know the species. I'm looking at moving it to a larger pot. Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penfold2(4b, MN)

Didierea madagascariensis

When repotting very spiny plants I've folded sheets of newspaper into strips which I then wrap around the plant. Hanging onto the ends of that newspaper is a lot more comfortable than trying to hang onto the plant itself.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 5:23PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I believe it is Didierea madagascariensis. Sorry, I have no experience, therefore no advice, about potting up.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 5:26PM
norma_2006

Keep your hands clean of sap some are very dangerous to handle, use milk if it starts to sting any plance on your body eyes or any other openings. Norma

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 7:29PM
dellis530(6B)

I had one a long time ago, I think thats the correct ID.

Denise

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 8:09PM
houstonpat(9a)

Many thanks y'all.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 10:56PM
cactusmcharris

Pat,

That's a sweet plant. And as I've likely bored you with before, the proper response to Didieria? is 'Did s/he ever.' This plant really likes summer - yours is looking just great. General succulent culture is what this likes.

Norma,

This plant doesn't have a sap problem. The Didieriaceae, (Didieria, Alluaudia and Alluaudiopsis) aren't harmful unless you grasp them powerfully, like when you don't think about not catching one of them as they fall while being repotted (I did it - it hurt). One must be a lemur to hold them without hurting.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 11:10PM
houstonpat(9a)

All good info.
How about pot shape... that is, broad and shallow or deep and narrow? BTW, this winter I kept the temp up a bit more and it didn't really go dormant. I over winter it with cactus in a dry part of my greenhouse. Temps do occasionally get into the upper 30's. Humidity remains fairly high. Normal summer location at my house is next to a typical wood fence. I drive a nail in the fence then tie a string from the nail around the Didieria. Sun most of the day.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Saved from Perdition
Dear Forum, You don't know it but you have saved a...
fakechuchi
Spring repots anyone???
I've already started my Spring repots even though it's...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
B. Fagaroides seed
I have a B. Fagaroides with a small seed left from...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
Do all aloe varieties benefit burns or just a. vera?
I did a quick google of the question and there are...
fireballsocal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™