Bromeliad is dying? Help please!

ladycamilleOctober 24, 2008

I bought a 2-3 foot tall Bromeliad, it was a bright deep red with 2 "pups" as i've learned they are called. It cost me about $45 and the florist warned me the mother flower would die off. He said it should last a few more months though. I've had a bromeliad before, a small one from walmart a couple years ago and it died. I am desperate to keep this one alive. I think I've found a 3rd pup. The greenery leaves of the mom are turning brown as well as the flower. I checked its water and I've been water as the florist directed, directly into the stalks where it is cupped to the plant, so the water shouldnt be a problem, it started turning brown so i thought it might not be getting enough light so i put it out on the back porch for a few days, which i dont think was so smart because it got cold here and fast, its been back inside for a few days now, looking worse, atm it looks better because i just trimmed off the majority of the brown spots. I even got a few whole leaves completely dead. The pups dont look bad but not good either, I am not sure if one of the leaves i trimmed was from a pup or the mom. and i see brown edges as if something had nibbled on it in spots on a pup. The florist said I shouldn't seperate the pups from the mom as they could very likely die. So how do i nurse this baby back to health? And sorry I dont have a camera to attach to my computer to post a picture up...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

Dont keep the plant wet if its winter in your area. Let it dry a bit between waterings. Gradually cut away the brown leaves and flower from mom and leave the pups alone. No direct sun just bright indirect light. To keep the pups growing keep temperature above 65 degrees.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 6:20PM
ladycamille

I trimmed back the mom plant quite a bit, there was tiny bits of pink left in the flower and little splotches of green still but I went ahead and cut the flower off. and trimmed the leaves down ALOT! I have found 2 more pups! For a total of 5 pups in a relatively small pot. I am hoping the trimming the mom as much as I did doesn't harm the pups? I still see brown spots on the mom too though, even though the greenery is down to less than 6 inches. Except one of the pups. I haven't trimmed them ofcourse. I do have anther concern though that the last 2 of the pups that I found were growing down in an outside leaf of the mom. Which i tried to remove so they could get a bit more sunlight. They are pretty small compared to the other three but are bright green like the others. Should I take the pot to a florist and have the pups seperated? I was warned when I bought the plant that this could kill them? Is that true? The florist didn't seem that knowledgable on this particular plant. This is the type of brom that I have...

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/uhmplants/Bromeliad.jpg

I would really like to keep all 5 pups alive and see them all come to bloom but I am scared of killing them.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 9:18PM
ladycamille

Also is it true that the Mom could come back and re-flower? If so did I hurt this chance by trimming the mom so much?

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 9:35PM
hotdiggetydam

Mom will die and pups will take her place...leave the pups alone...The plant you have is a Guzmania if the picture is correct

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
Spanish moss in Fl. oaks, need to know what kind of herbicide to spray
I have a customer that has heavy growth of moss in...
Big Yard Services
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
San Diego Bromeliad Show and Sale
Hey guys, for the SoCal people: Today and tomorrow...
sdandy
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
Sponsored Products
Spiral Solid Brass Dummy Lever Set
Signature Hardware
Ticking Fabric Basket
Home Decorators Collection
Lighthouse Large Wall Bracket
$523.00 | Bellacor
Antique Brass Colonial Six-Light Chandelier
$526.50 | Bellacor
Henri Studio Small Tazza Tier Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Habersham Nantucket 48 x 20 Display Cabinet with Mirrored Doors
LuxeDecor
Martha Stewart Area Rug: Fretwork Cavern 9' x 12'
Home Depot
DreamLine Unidoor Plus 37 to 44-1/2" W x 34-3/8" D x 72" H Hinged Shower Enclosu
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™