guzmania bromeliad care quesitons

sevrelOctober 26, 2009

I've noticed some tiny black winged insects hopping around on the surface of the soil of my plant. From what I've been able to find out through reading these are probably fungus gnats. Can anyone recommend an effective way to stop the larvae from hatching (preferably organic)?

Also my plant seems to be rotting and decaying along the edges of the leaves in the "cup" area. I've read this can be a result of keeping water in the cup, but I am confused because it seems one camp of people advising keeping water in the cup and another says it is not a good idea.

Would it be worth trying an alternative for awhile, like misting once a week rather than keeping water in the cup? Or is there some other way I might treat this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splinter1804

Hi sevrel,

Although I'm not an expert in these matters, I have a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

Is it standing in a saucer where it always has contact with water? If this is the case then it probably has 'wet feet' which will possibley lead to rot.

Has it possibly been exposed to CCA treated wood? i.e. drips from overhead CCA treated timber beams, leaves touching a CCA treated wood product or perhaps a mulch of wood shavings or chips from CCA treated wood.

Is it or has it been in contact with any other copper products (copper is very bad for broms)

Have you sprayed it with a fungicide containing copper? If so it will have a similar effect, unless the copper component of the spray is very low.

Has it been over fertilized? Sometimes this can manifest itself with leaf dieback.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but these are all things to consider, but it would be easier for the experts on this site to help if you posted a picture of the plant in question.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Spanish moss in Fl. oaks, need to know what kind of herbicide to spray
I have a customer that has heavy growth of moss in...
Big Yard Services
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Sponsored Products
Modular Chair Cover
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Bianca 80" Wall-Mounted Double Bathroom Vanity - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Fairmont Designs Shaker Americana 42" Vanity for Integrated Top - Habana Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Bear Snowman Figurine
$11.99 | zulily
LA Baby Compact Metal Folding Crib with 3 in. Mattress - CS882
$184.65 | Hayneedle