Crested opuntia ficus-indica?

birdlady21March 24, 2009

I noticed a pile of cactus trimmings in the alley-way behind my house, waiting for bulk-trash pick-up. Being the scavenger that I am, I had to take a look to see what kind of cactus it was. There among the large pads of an indian-fig were a number of crests. I have never seen -- or heard of -- a crested indian-fig cactus. Does anyone know anything about them? (Yes, I collected a bunch of them to add to my collection. They were just too amazing to pass up!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steelplayer

I would sure like to see a picture if you have one.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 12:50AM
birdlady21

The flat pad is 9" long and 6" wide -- one of the smaller ones from the parent plant.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 7:22PM
pasimachus(z4 MN)

Whoa! None of those are Opuntia ficus-indica. The middle one is an Opuntia, but a different one. I'm pretty sure that the other pieces are monstrose cholla segments (Cylindropuntia fulgida). I used to pick pieces like those up in alleys when I lived in Tempe. The only thing that makes me wonder is that the chollas I found were usually still somewhat spiny.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 10:52PM
birdlady21

Bingo! pasimachus it looks like they are cylindropuntia fulgida var. mammillata. The C. fulgida are way more spiny than the ones I found. But pictures I found on-line of the var. mammillata are an exact match. Thank you for your input. I always like to know what I am growing!

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
My Hobbits and Gollums... any further id welcome
I can guess some id's but I am not 100% sure, as I...
nanzjade_z5
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
Wholesale cacti nurseries in AZ?
Hello- does anyone know of any wholesale cacti nurseries...
maark23 TX/8a
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™