Please help me ID this Bromeliad

fieldofflowers(3 or 4a)October 15, 2013

I got this from a local conservatory marked as Cryptantus Fosterina.

Upon researching I realized right away this doesn't appear to be correctly labeled. It isn't a Cryptantus. The lady in charge of the bromeliads was just as stumped as I was. She figured it could be any of the two families that produce pineapples. According to her, this plant will produce some small ones, but very sour and nasty to eat. (her experience, lol)

Both of us have exhausted our resources trying to find out what this plant is, or even what family to look for. This is why I am here. Wondering if any of you can recognize this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5

Just a guess here from another northern grower...it may be x Anamea 'Scorpio', a bigeneric. Below is a link to the Florida Council's brom pictures. You'll need to scroll down the left index to the bigeneric area to find it.

Since it's a bi-generic, it's only half pineapple, so it probably does make nasty fruit. You'll be able to identify it better once it blooms, so you may want to re-post it then when you can see flower color, etc.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Council Brom Pix

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 6:02PM
fieldofflowers(3 or 4a)

Thank you. I'll have to ask the lady at the conservatory or make sure to bring my camera along if the others are still in bloom. I don't go there until another two weeks from now.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 12:19AM
hotdiggetydam

FCBS.org is great place to start. I doubt it makes a fruit if it is
'Scorpio' it will have flower similar to an Aechmea which turns into a pup.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 4:09AM
fieldofflowers(3 or 4a)

I forwarded this post to the lady from the conservatory who tends these. She thinks x Anamea 'Scorpio' is highly likely, but said it won't be until at least a year before they bloom again. So I guess it won't be until a year I can post a follow-up if I remember.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
Impulsiv-ity and Tillandsia
Good Morning! Newbie here (to all plants). In an extremely...
Kristinkle
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
hotdiggetydam
photo #2 of id - exserta hybrid?
Here is the photo of the bloom spike. my apologies...
Brian311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™