Haworthia seedling

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIMarch 26, 2014

So how large must these be to transplant, "safely"? These are from own cross and I failed take good notes, so I don't recall the parents. I know it is too early to know what they might look like months from now, but they seem to have a distichous nature so one parent may have been H. truncata.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salt_creep

They all seem to start out rather distichous, but if they're going to grow into rosettes you'll probably see it soon with the bigger seedlings. Love the patterns on the leaves! As long as they're growing fine, you can probably leave them as is until they start elbowing each other for more space. But if you need to transplant, you can probably already do so at this point as long as you can easily handle them (tiny ones can be hard to replant). I've even accidentally broken the roots off and they'll re-root. Might set the seedling back a bit but it usually recovers.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 9:36PM
hanzrobo(11)

Howard, you've kept this quiet! I didn't realize you had these beauties growing, very nice! Ken's advice is spot-on. I'm inclined to wait until the plants are begging for more space, but that's because I'm overloaded with transplanting. I've definitely learned that transplanting at the right time gives seedlings a boost and enables them to grow faster and bigger than they would if left cramped in shallow containers. Many of my plants are like teenagers that need their own rooms, unable to progress until they get more space.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:01PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Thanks to both of you. Yes, for now they will remain as is. Soon I will have more seed to sow...this is getting exciting!!!!

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Jade fused trunk
Hi all, been reading for a while, first time poster. My...
andymac85
Snow Day Succulents
I hope everyone in the NE is enjoying their snow day!...
ehuns27 7a PA
Watering & fertilizer regimine??
For the last year (one summer & one winter) I have...
halocline
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™