Mums rooted

sid_marx(Auckland, New Zealand)October 2, 2008

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a bromeliad question...

Does the root system developed by the mother plant continue to live and nourish the pups after the mother dies?

I have noticed that the root systems of clumps of broms don't seem to suffer any die off when mother plants perish, they just seem to keep developing as if the plant they were originally anchored to was still there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bambi_too(5 Ohio)

Actually I think the roots do continue to nourish the pups after the mother is gone. I was waundering around in a friends hoop house awhile back and saw a pot with a couple of stumps Neo. punctissima it it surrounded by pups. The mother plants had obviously been gone quite awhile since most of the pups had pups

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 8:31PM
jaga

Welcome to the forum S M we need more from NZ considering the number of 'brom addicts' here we have a low representation, where abouts do you live?. I agree with above if you want to keep the original roots but have found the pups do better operating off there own root system for nice healthy plants but by leaving the pup on towards the end of the mother plants live you tend to get a more stessed but often nicer color as we think it works in the opposite as the old roots give gradually less nutrient and finally will rot out and of course you will end up with less pups. even a old root will give up some new pups. Happy gardening

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 4:34PM
sid_marx(Auckland, New Zealand)

Thanks b too & jaga. I have only been growing broms for a couple of years and have much to learn! Jaga, I am in Mellons Bay, near Howick in Auckland, about a km from the ocean. We don't tend to suffer too much frost where we are but a few of my plants took a battering from the hail this winter.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
Spanish moss in Fl. oaks, need to know what kind of herbicide to spray
I have a customer that has heavy growth of moss in...
Big Yard Services
Pitcairnia bloom or more leaves?
I've only been growing this plant for a year.
anygreen
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
Sponsored Products
New Stone Washed Chobi Peshawar 6'x9' Pakistani Blue Wool Hand Knotted Rug H3815
BH Sun Inc
Soumak Eaton Design Red and Beige Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$129.00 | Bellacor
Dyson DC44 Animal Cordless Vacuum
$399.99 | FRONTGATE
Solus Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Modern Fan Company
$384.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Aragon Natural Root Wood Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Belle Foret Wall Mounted Potfiller CP
PLFixtures
Copeland Furniture | Sarah Armchair