Euphorbia trigona (I think) branches falling over -- help?

lindsay_bMarch 23, 2013

Hi all! I'm a *very* newbie gardener and don't know much about this plant. I rent from a very nice lady and I'd hate to let her plant die if I can avoid it!

First, one of its long stalks fell over; then two others followed suit. They don't appear to be broken at the base. My question: should I try to prop them back up (maybe tie the whole thing to some structural support), or is the falling over evidence of disease that should be removed? I do notice that several of the stalks have large brown patches up the middle, but don't know if that's common for this plant. I wonder if the whole thing is getting enough light, since it's planted beneath a large tree?

If the fallen parts do need to be removed, is that a job for a professional? I know it has a milky sap that is a nasty allergen.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

Mine does this all the time... I don't have mine planted in full sun and that is the problem I think... plants grown in full, all day sun (and re-exposed to winds as well) tend to be stiffer and more durable (though maybe a bit less colorful). Anyway, when mine is exposed to winds, many of the columns bend over.. I tie them up, but still a few find ways to bend over. REc: if you can, replant yours in full, all day sunlight. You may need to stake it up in the mean time.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindsay_b

Thank you so much! Very relieved to hear you have this problem too! Will try staking it, for now at least. Really appreciate the help!

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
What did I buy, my friends?
I was at HD picking up fert for my gardenias and hibiscus...
Crenda SWFL 10A
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
The tall one and the short one> ID help needed
This is my 2nd or 3rd of this plant and i've killed...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™