Anyone have a potting bench?

jenn(SoCal 9/19)January 23, 2014

I'm looking for a potting bench about 5' wide (from end to end) made of cedar. I found a few online, but would love to find one locally if I can. I know I could make one, but we have several other projects going on and don't want another one at this time.

Does anyone know of a local resource for nice potting benches? I'm referring to a table-like structure, like this one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadinlg

I have used/use an old desk and an old bathroom vanity from my neighbors remodel with a plywood top added - the cabinets are nice and keep things tidy and rat free :0

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:42PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

We remodeled our house (short sale with serious neglect), and replaced all the doors, which were solid oak. Hubby put a few concrete blocks and then a door, then stacked a couple more blocks and another door. He then cut an opening for the old sink. Sweet! I have a potting shelf under our deck with a sink and a nice shelf for potting soil etc.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 2:56PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you for your creative ideas!

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:09AM
calistoga_al

I have an old stainless steel laboratory sink, 6 feet long with a deep sink in the middle, big enough to take a flat of 16 four inch pots, which allows me to water from the bottom. Check salvage yards for something similar. Al

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:20AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you, Al.

I should mention that this potting bench will be seen through the formal dining room window. Currently the view consists of a grouping of trash cans and garden shed, so we keep the curtains closed. For another spot not seen from this room, I'd consider something hand-made. I love a whimsical rustic look but I think a purchased potting bench will make a more attractive scene through the window -- assuming I keep it tidy and neat. And my husband will be happy too. :-)

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:38AM
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21

i've got an ancient wood topped iron legged coffee table with the 1921 enamel sink we tore out of our kitchen when we remodeled - set on concrete blocks, and angled so that excess water falls through the drain into a bucket below for reuse. it isn't necessarily pretty though. ;)

where is local for you? this is a nice (though somewhat pricey) store for garden furniture in LA - but not sure where you are located..... but maybe they also ship items?

http://www.pottedstore.com/

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 2:46PM
kathi_mdgd

That one you show on amazon is a good price.I don't think you could make it for that price,by the time you factor in the supplies and your time to build one. Jmo
Kathi

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™