Squirrels digging in bromeliad pots

elpaninaro(z9 TX)October 18, 2012

Evening all,

Having an unusual problem- it seems some squirrels are digging into the bromeliad pots on my patio. A rare issue with most of the plants, and I just refill the soil- no harm done.

However, I have a very large unusual form of Aechmea spectabilis (my prize plant) in a 10 inch pot that they are digging in with some regularity. Given the large amount of soil, they are making a huge mess. And since that is one of the ones only getting RO water- I have to soak a fresh batch of mix in RO water every time I need to replace soil.

Any ideas? I do not wish to be cruel, but for this one plant I am actually thinking about putting barbed wire on the surface of the potting mix to deter them. I have tried sporadic bits of broken clay pots, but that did not work and I do not want to cover the whole surface area of the soil with something heavy as that will hinder drying between waterings. Barbed wire seems the best solution, but again I am concerned about any rust leeching into the soil.

Grateful for any thoughts!

Tom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

Check the internet there a number of rodent deterants that won't harm them. Scents like bobcat are available. Seems they know when they smell a preditor and vamoose!

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:18PM
splinter1804

Hi everyone,

Tom - Why don't you try wrapping some of that black bird netting over the top of the pot. The worst it could do to the squirrels is get them caught up in the mesh, but once this happens I think they'd stay away. Also as it's black in colour it wouldn't detract from the looks of your plant very much either.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 7:24PM
elpaninaro(z9 TX)

Good suggestions both! Many thanks- I think either of those will work well. Now on to the hardware store!

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
Anybody want to ID these Tillandsias?
I got 7 Tillandsias yesterday from a small store.....
MrBlubs
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™