The GIANTS are growing!

bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)June 13, 2014

My Giant Swallowtail cats are growing well. The largest ones are just past the 1 1/2 inch mark now. This is my first time raising them, and I have to say that so far, these are the easiest cats I have ever raised. They are sluggish as all get out, never moving around the enclosure. They stay right on their leaves to molt, and they aren't very big eaters either. They are dream cats! ~~Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, indeed, Angie, they're about the easiest cats to raise ever!

Congratulations on your success!

Sherry

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:29PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Thanks Sherry. You were so right about them. Here I was thinking that they might be as complex as Zebras. So glad that they aren't. So far, so good!~~Angie

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:34PM
caterwallin

Angie, I'm glad that you are getting a chance to raise the Giant Swallowtails. I just love them despite their dying as small cats that they do when I try to raise them from eggs. I brought about a dozen inside and would have brought more in to raise if she'd have gone more crazy laying eggs, but she didn't. It's unusual because most times when a Giant Swallowtail butterfly is here at the host plants, she lays at least 40 eggs. I haven't seen any cats on the rue at all. Just like last year, she/they prefer the gas plants. I also didn't find any on the wafer ash trees. I'm feeding them gas plant/Dictamnus and wafer ash.
Here's one of my favorite pictures I took of a GST. It looks like it has a face and is saying, "Ho hum." :-)

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:09PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Cool shot Cathy! I only found and collected one egg on my tree, and it did hatch. The little guy is blatantly obvious amongst the bigger guys. I did keep in mind what you had said about them wandering off the host plant and dying. My gut instinct was that they are so sluggish that they honestly couldn't seem to find the way back to the plant. So, if the little guys wandered off, I would let them sit for awhile, but then I would move them back onto the plant. I initially had 18 cats, and now I have 16. Since there have not been any dead ones, I am assuming cannibalism. My largest cats are now right at about 1 3/4 inches long. I just love them. They are fun to watch. I snapped several new shots this morning. Everyone, please indulge me when I post too many GST cat pics? ~~Angie

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:27PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

What do you think this stance is about? The cat was just sitting all alone on its leaf with its head up in the air. :)

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:29PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

These guys were having a little turf war!

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:30PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

As I recall, they hold their heads up when it's hot, Angie. I think they're trying to get some cool air under their bodies! :)

Sherry

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:45PM
spiroan

Those are such cool looking cats!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:11AM
Leafhead

Uff-Da!!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:45PM
caterwallin

Nice pics, Angie, and I'm glad all is going well. They'll get even bigger. If I recall correctly, I think I feed mine for about 3 weeks before they pupate.
Cathy

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:32PM
roper2008 (7b)

Wow, they are really odd looking. I planted some rue,
and it' really little. Don't think I'll be seeing Giant Swallow-
tails this year, but then I hardly ever see them. My sister
says she see's them, and she's right around the block from
me. I hope to one day raise them also. Good job Angie.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 5:59PM
Leafhead

They kind of remind me of those old Godzilla flicks...
Mothra!

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™