moving a butterfly bush

jilliebean9700(7a)June 29, 2011

i have a large butterfly bush which has outgrown its spot & is crowding the other plants. what is the best was to relocate it and when??

i am also having a similar issue w/ a gay butterfly weed plant too.would it be done the same way and time?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I've had very little luck trying to move large, established buddleias. I would recommend chopping this mama bush into a bunch of cuttings. They root almost as easily as willow. Next spring when you know if your cuttings are still alive, you can remove the mama plant or try moving it then.

Every spring when I trim the BB's, I stick the cuttings all around the yard. They rarely live more than a few years so I never consider any of them permanent but there are many so it's ok when individuals die off.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 10:12AM
spaceman13(6b)

I never moved a BF bush, but I would definitely wait until fall. The shock of transplanting in this heat would surely not be good.

In fall, cut it back to about 1/2 its current size and re-plant it when there will be a few straight days of cloudy/rainy weather. It would be a good idea, as Purpleinopp stated, to root several cuttings to "hedge your bet"

Good luck
Spaceman

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 11:53AM
jilliebean9700(7a)

thanks. i will take cuttings as you said.i followed a garden plan from spring hill and it seems over crowded to me. maybe i will leave the bush alone but still do cuttings,and move some of the easier things to move (lilys and stuff) out of it's way then.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 12:05PM
imabirdnut

I have moved several of my BF bushes & yes...I waited until late fall/early winter or very early spring to move them when they are dormant. I find that if I take cuttings in the fall...they root! Other times, it is iffy! I cut them back & compost the new hole & till it. I haven't lost a moved one yet & am going to be moving my honeycomb this fall when we add a carport.
Good advice everyone...this summer heat will kill them for sure!

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Seed Trade
I have a bunch of new packets (unopened, this season)...
msmorningsong
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™