Big Bromalaid project

GreenPhase(8OR)October 27, 2012

I have worked with a lot of different kinds of plants but have never gotten into or had a brom. before. I find identification very confusing for this kind of plant and would love any help with this one!

I went over to a friend�s house for a major plant maintenance project and ended up taking apart a huge plant that is about 30 years old. The growing conditions aren�t perfect so there are no colors for help. I also have never seen it flower. From the way the flower is described it sounds more like a leafy growth with a tall stem, like a guzmania, but way bigger. It has stout spikes that marked my arm up while repotting. The leaf ends are more rounded and the leaves are floppy, but this might be due to lower light...

I am going to be bringing home a medium sized offset soon and would appreciate knowing what I'm working with. Any guesses or genre would be great to narrow my research. Thank you in advance :)

The picture below is before it was divided.

I will take a better pic of the offset once I get mine to help out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
splinter1804

Hi everyone

GreenPhase - Judging from your photo and what you say about the plant in it, I think it is Aechmea Fasciata (grown in low light).

It was one of the early Bromeliads to be brought into cultivation from its Brazilian habitat in 1826, and since then many millions have been commercially grown annually for sale in many of the bromeliad growing countries throughout the world.

It is still one of the most popular and highest selling bromeliads in the world and there would be very few bromeliad collections that don't include a plant of Ae. Fasciata.

It also grows well when mounted in trees such as the Peppercorn Tree in my garden (see pic)

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 3:46PM
GreenPhase(8OR)

Thanks! They said it was a pink flower!
Those sure are pretty and look right at home in that tree :)
Any specific care through your own experience? And does this species have any strengths or weaknesses I should know about?

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 11:55PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Loose, gritty soil. My soil has Turface, perlite, grit and pine bark in more or less equal amounts with perhaps 10% potting soil. I summer mine on a screen porch where they get about 2 hours of direct sun and winter them in an east facing window. Although I'll water the soil sometimes, I mostly water in the cup.

My third generation of Aechmea fasciata.

I do like those blooms.

tj

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 6:22PM
GreenPhase(8OR)

Thanks guys!
One of my biggest concerns now is how I change out the water in the center and if I have to or not. What's a process that doesn't make a big mess? And should the water be special in any way? tap work?

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:37PM
hotdiggetydam

Just flush it out with a hose. Any good clean water will work. Or turn it upside down and dump it and then fill the cups half full. I do mine atleast every 3 weeks and more often in high temps.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 4:02PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Since my city water has fluoride and chloramine, neither of which dissipates, I use collected rain water.

Evaporation usually empties the cups for me.

tj

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:48PM
GreenPhase(8OR)

Thanks! All the help has been great!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Anybody want to ID these Tillandsias?
I got 7 Tillandsias yesterday from a small store.....
MrBlubs
photo #2 of id - exserta hybrid?
Here is the photo of the bloom spike. my apologies...
Brian311
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™