Why is my bougainvillea dying?

zagyzebraJanuary 24, 2013

I own a property that suffered a large loss fire a few years ago, and all landscaping station timers and electricity running to them were fried. However, the vines kept flourishing. Now, a little more than 2 years later, they are dying. Does anyone have any idea why they would suddenly be dying?

This home is in a Los Angeles area coastal microclimate. Most of the rest of the landscaping miraculously seems to be surviving, if not overpowering the smaller plants (which are dying because they're getting consumed by the stronger ones).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquilachrysaetos

Did you get below freezing temps a couple of weeks ago? I know there were freeze warnings all across southern California including at my mom-in-law's who lives near the coast.

Bougainvillea is frost tender and gets heavy damage at very cold temperatures. Some years ago we got snow at my house (I'm close to the mountains) and it killed my bougies.

Large mature plants that are well established can survive and grow back but small ones don't fare so well.

Another possibility is gophers. They killed another of my bougainvillieas.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 2:50PM
CA Kate

To Dis's comments: I had a Bougie planted in the open, but by a huge rock that offered some protection for the roots and base of the plant. The top died-back almost every winter, but resprouted in the Spring. I suggest you give the Bougie time... maybe until June even... to resprout, and then prune-away what has died over winter.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 3:45PM
CA Kate

To Dis's comments: I had a Bougie planted in the open, but by a huge rock that offered some protection for the roots and base of the plant. The top died-back almost every winter, but resprouted in the Spring. I suggest you give the Bougie time... maybe until June even... to resprout, and then prune-away what has died over winter.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 3:46PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

The cold kills them, they could come back, but no guarantees.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 8:32PM
zagyzebra

I suspect it is the cold. However, since the boug has been growing prodiguously for the last 15 years, I am a bit stunned by its sudden setback (I hope) due to a cold snap.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 5:43PM
zagyzebra

I suspect it is the cold. However, since the boug has been growing prodiguously for the last 15 years, I am a bit stunned by its sudden setback (I hope) due to a cold snap.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 5:44PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If the roots are well-established you can cut it back hard nearly to the ground and it should all grow back afresh.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
Suggestions for unusual and well-producing veggies for northbay?
We're about to plant the same old things: beans, tomatoes,...
carolsun
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Sponsored Products
Wam Bam Premium Arched Vinyl Gate - 6 ft. - VG13007
$309.99 | Hayneedle
Jarrod Large Washed Carved Wood and Mirror Pendant
Bellacor
Swanky Multi Ikat Wool Rug (7'6 x 9')
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. LV43VRD Landscape Lighting Well Light Low Voltage (12V) Die Ca
$72.97 | Home Depot
Kichler Sand Finish Cone Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Morgan Chair - IVORY
$2,159.00 | Horchow
Bottle Designs Cork Holder
| Dot & Bo
LBL Lighting | Mademoiselle Wall Sconce
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™