Blooming Aeonium? or Echeveria? ID Help Please.

alex_i(8 Las Vegas, NV)March 28, 2012

Hi everyone.

Fairly new to the succulent world and not sure if these are aeoniums or echeveria. I am sure our experts here can help i.d. these for me. I have had them for over 2 years now and this is the 1st time they have bloomed. I feel bad that even though I have not paid much attention to caring for this plant (as much as I do with my other plants), it still rewarded me with gorgeous flowers. I have even left it outdoors during winter freezes and hot summers (over 105 degrees) here in Las Vegas. Pics below.

Thanks very much in advance,

Alex.

Buds started showing Valentine's Day.

Full Bloom around March 20 and still in bloom as of today

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Why feel badly when they're doing so beautifully? Lovely blooms, but it's neither an Aeonium nor an Echeveria, rather some kind of Crassula (they are related all being Crassulacae).

Something like Crassula rupestris or perforata, I'll leave it to others to say for sure. Very nice, enjoy!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:39PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

BEAUTIFUL! Love the series...leading up to the gorgeous macro of the blooms! It is Crassula remota, often mistaken for C. rupestris (similar looks).

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:55PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Lovely basket! I started out small and ignoring what I had too. But eventually, one thing led to another and here I am.

Penny

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:52PM
cactusmcharris

Yes, that last photo is the loveliest nosegay of Crassulaceae I've seen all day!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:56AM
alex_i(8 Las Vegas, NV)

Thank you all for your i.d. help and compliments. It is just this season that I have realized how hardy this plant is and given the bare minimal care I have given it, still manages to give a good show. I am giving it more attention this time around so it'll stay healthy.

Alex.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 4:51PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well wait a minute Alex, I thought the lesson here was what a rugged, sturdy plant you've got there, & to keep doing (or not doing) exactly what you've done thus far. I wouldn't give it TOO much attention now.

Thanks for posting it, it's divine to look at!

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 5:15PM
alex_i(8 Las Vegas, NV)

Pirate_girl, Hehe, yeah I originally thought about saying what you said about "not giving it TOO much attention." But this time, I just won't leave it unprotected on freezing nights and 110 degree days, just so it does not feel ignored. Many years ago, not having the benefit of forums like ours, too much attention to my jades ended up over-watering some of them. Lesson learned :-)

Thanks again. Cheers.
Alex.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™