How to cut back leggy daisies (Shasta I think)

dbaycalif(14 / 9)January 18, 2009

I am in the CA Delta region. We moved into this house with sunny side yard and mounded amended-clayey area of daisies already in. They have looked good in season, though are very overgrown, leggy, falling all over, some dead growth underneath. (it's been new growth on top of all the other below) I'm trying to "neaten" it all up for spring, but my husband is very nervous about my 1st attempt at cutting back (radically), so I'm double checking. I heard that you can cut almost to ground & they'll be okay... I certainly don't like the look now but feel it's gardeners' faith you need to have!? Comments from others who've been here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

If they're shastas, cut them to the ground. New growth will only come from the crown of the plant.

If you can post an image, we can help you ID them.

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 2:36PM
dbaycalif(14 / 9)

Thanks Jean. Here's one photo from this past April, and one today. If I cut them now, any idea how long to be fairly filling an area again? (Note that the photos are on Webshots. I've attached here in forums before but this time couldn't see that option, directly)

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots album, last 2 most recent photos

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 3:39PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

That looks more like an Osteospermum fruticosum kind of flower. Shasta daisies look like this, more or less:

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of Osteospermum fruticosum

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 5:50PM
dbaycalif(14 / 9)

Yes, I think you're right! Thank you. Well at any rate, they're being cut back - hope they'll come back okay!

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 10:22PM
gardenerme(z9/21 inland socal)

They should be fine. Keep in mind that they are a cooler weather perennial in your area, and may not show their stuff in the heat. Don't worry, fall comes and they come back well.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 11:08AM
sunnie(9/10 So.Calif.)

You're hoping you have osteospermum, and it will come back.. believe me it will ! I planted a few about 4 years ago and every year trim it back, but its so invasive that I want to get rid of it and find this is impossible
Thought I had dug it all out last year, but it's coming back thicker than ever. So, I'm digging again ! Anyone else have experiece with this?

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™