Plant suggestions for Dry Shade?

peachymomo(Ca 8)January 29, 2012

I'm trying to improve the look of a shady hillside at one of my mother's properties. My first attempt to landscape it failed because deer ate nearly everything, it was my first garden in deer country and it was a hard lesson. Since that failure I've been cross referencing lists of plants for dry shade and list of deer resistant plants and this is what I have come up with:

Pink Winter Currant, Coffeeberry, Australian Fuschia, California Fescue, Fortnight Lily, Douglas Iris, Mexican Daisy, Hummingbird Sage, Thyme.

Any advice on these plants or others that I should add instead? I'm trying to achieve a low-water, low-maintenance, woodland look that is more attractive than the currant weedy mess. I would love to add some ferns, but they tend to be thirsty and I couldn't find any that were listed as deer resistant. I don't know if this information is pertinent but the area is shaded mainly by a chestnut and a black walnut, but there are lots of oaks a littler farther away.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Is this property a rental? Dry shade, deer resisitant, spreads, maintenance free...vinca minor / periwinkle. Good for these purposes if you're not using it amongst other small plantings.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 2:47PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Acanthus mollis, Asparagus densiflorus sprengeri compacta, Dianella intermedia, Dianella tasmanica, Choisya ternata 'Sundance', Melianthus major, Euphorbia characias wulfenii, are a few plants that are both good in dry shade and deer resistant. Don't expect any of these to look great year round without some summer irrigation the first couple of years.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 8:35PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

The only two natives I am really familiar with are the iris and the sage. If it is coastal, douglas iris can be grown from seed so that they are not so expensive. Hummingbird sage will fill in large areas. Neither are weed-blockers, though.
Renee

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 8:38PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

Thanks everyone! It is a rental, but the renters and neighbors are friends. I plan on installing a drip irrigation system to water the new plants at least until they are established, and depending on how they look they might continue to get occasional summer water. I was hoping that an asparagus fern would make it on to the list, yay!

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 1:51PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Hellebores are very nice. If you know anyone with a Hellebore, they usually have seedlings to share.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 12:50AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

My favorites! Asparagus ferns would propagate nicely under those conditions.
Renee

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 2:11AM
More Discussions
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
Sponsored Products
Ecco! Fruit Holder by Alessi
$155.00 | Lumens
Blue & White Hydrangea Faux-Floral Arrangement - BLUE/WHITE
$435.00 | Horchow
Mini Desert Panorama Print
| Dot & Bo
Dimond 10109/1 Swing Arm Floor Lamp - 10109/1
$298.00 | Hayneedle
Bamboo Palm 6-foot Silk Tree
Overstock.com