Neoregalia flowering

tropicbreezentOctober 16, 2012

I've had this Neoregalia for a number of years. It was called "Black ..." something or other but I've forgotten. The leaf blade tips are red.

It's multiplied over the years and some are now up in trees. Problem is, up in trees you don't see any of the flowering.

Flower buds forming under water

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

Plant in the 4th photo doesn't appear to be the same as the first 3 photos. It shows variegation

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:24PM
tropicbreezent

Yes, I see the difference in appearance. Interestingly, the plant in the 4th photo is the same as the one in the 3rd, and they all came from the same parent plant that I got at least 4 to 5 years ago. They'd be getting about the same amount of light. The first is in soil though, all the others in trees. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'll have to take a closer look at all the ones in the trees and see if it's consistent.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 5:58AM
hotdiggetydam

Some variegated hybrids can revert but I don't see that in this group. I have Neo 'Pink on Black' but it is a stable variegated clone for me. Depends on the source you got your plant from as to the 'black' part of the name...it could be one of many but it would need alot more light to develop the full color. Did you photo the plant when you first got it?

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:57AM
tropicbreezent

I checked the other plants. Only one of the larger ones in a tree has that same variegated pattern, the smaller ones (in the trees) don't.

Also checked back over my photos but couldn't find an early one of the parent Brom. Chances are I just missed it. Usually I get photos of everything. That's what makes it so difficult to find anything, just too many photos to look through. But I've probably had it 6 or 7 years. (Amazing, but I didn't realise I've had this place about 9.5 years now. Time flies.)

It's always difficult with sun exposure here. A lot of the year things just cook. That's one of the reasons I've been moving them up into trees more recently. That extra bit of unhindered air movement seems to make a big difference. After losing things previously I'd decided it was better to have plants less colourful in the shade than coloured and dead in the sun.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™