Best Time to Prune Cold Damaged Plants?

Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)January 15, 2007

I have a lot of tropical and sub-tropical plants showing foliage/stem damage from the freeze. On those plants where I can obviously see the damage, is it better to prune back damaged growth now or should I wait?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joereal(Ca z9/SS z14)

Wait until the frost season has passed. I know that there are some people like my better half that gets highly irritated to see dead stuff hanging around and would gladly clean them up when the time affords. But at least I've convinced her that the dead parts, usually the top part, becomes the best natural frost covers that can protect the tree trunks or roots to survive the winter.

I usually clean up when there is no more danger of frost by reading on 10-day forecast. Even then, we could also get a surprise late season arctic blasts. But when that happens, I scamper to place my ready covers.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 2:55PM
gaza(10 la CA)

i agree,leave well alone.
it looks like hell,and you want to clean up,BUT,dont,it may mean the diference in just lost leaves,or A LOST plant

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 3:24PM
gardening_fool(9b San Juan Capistrano)

Hello Mikey, I too have alot of damage but have been told not to trim, cut back or remove the damaged leaves or stems until the freeze, frost and artic weather has passed. I have lived in San Juan Capistrano for 16 years and the older neighbors that are familiar with this coastal valley say not until March 15th. The longest I ever waited was March 1rst and it was fine. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can tell you and post it so we all can use the INFO. I have included 2 pictures. One is of the large plant that was damaged and I want to cut it back all the way as it should have never been planted under the eve,Notice that is now all BLACK except a couple leaves at the very top, and the other is of a Helaconia that was burned and somehow the palms survived. Does anyone know if I should cut the Helaconia back to the ground when time to cut back or just leave it?

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 3:58PM
wanda(Z9 CA)

I'm in the San Jose area and I usually wait until March 1. We may have a few cold days, but it's unlikely to frost after that date

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 10:07PM
youreit

Links-R-US. :)

Brenda

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 7:52AM
sanda(Uz10/Sz23 SoCal)

Hi Mikey,
I am sorry about the frost damage to your plants...I'm in the same boat. My tupidanthus looks like the picture above, all the bloodleaf bananas you gave me look like gonners...Do you think they'll come back? Passiflora is fine. I'll have a closer look at the mango and citrus today. I will leave all the yucky stuff on for extra protection. Hope they all make it,
Sanda

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 4:01PM
Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)

Hi Sanda. With respect to the banana I think it's a case of "wait & see". The leaves on mine are toast but I don't think the main stock was frozen to the point of death.... -Mike

Bookmark   January 20, 2007 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
chrysanthemums california!
Hi all, I bought these lovely yellow chrysanthemums...
Vyoma Hadkar Khaparde
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
Have you he@rd of SLOLA?
Great time at seed library meeting in Los Angeles....
Wild Haired Mavens
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
Sponsored Products
Anderson Teak Coto De Casa Deep Seating Conversation Set - SR-5010-TERRACOTTA
Hayneedle
Spring Jug
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
36-inch Wispy Willow Wreath with 100 Clear Lights
Overstock.com
Tablo Tray Table w/ Tray - Short Teak - Design House Stockholm
$350.00 | HORNE
Upton Home Ashbury Entryway Shelf/ Hall Coat Rack Tree
Overstock.com