Planting Native Garden - Hiding awkward stage?

slowjane CA/ Sunset 21January 12, 2014

Hi all,

I'm working on landscaping the front of my little cottage in Atwater Village in LA - and using only natives, mostly from Theodore Payne - two kinds of Ceanothus, several kinds of buckwheats, a fuschia, a lupine, and others....

I got some of the free city mulch - and now thinking it will be too rich for these plants - and having a hard time getting a good answer as far as what I can put on the bare dirt to keep it from blowing into my house so I won't feel like I live in the Dust Bowl like my granny - last summer was crazy!!

So it's sort of a mulch question - or maybe a groundcover question - or an erosion question - ? It seems like I should mulch around the plants later in the year as it gets warm - but what to do about the aesthetic/dust bowl problem between the plants as I wait for them to fill in?

Perhaps bark is the right idea? - if so, is it important that it's redwood? what about decomposed granite to keep things tidy and keep the dust down?

Any advice much appreciated!!!!!

slowjane
los angeles, atwater village 90039

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paleogardener(9)

Natives are a journey & those that plant them are appreciated by the Mother. As long as city mulch you have down is 3 or more inches away from the crown you are probably fine.
I would remove it only if:

If you have access to oak leaves - California natives love oak leaves. Shred them and use this as the mulch. Again keeping it 3 or more inches away from the crown so they can breath.
Or
Rocks. A biggish rock or 3 on the hottest side of the plant, 6 to 8 inches away from the base. This creates a moist shadow in the soil that they will send feeder roots into & draw from in the hottest part of the summer.
Good luck.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:15PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If you go look around a native area there is mulch-like material on the surface, fallen leaves and so forth. Mulch is not a problem.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 2:36PM
CA Kate

When I first planted my natives garden there were a lot of spaces between what would someday become large plants. Someone gave me many packets of annual seeds. I put all in a bowl, mixed thoroughly, and tossed all over. For the next couple of years the garden was a riot of annual color. The annuals started to disappear just as the natives were starting to get large enough to make a presence.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:10PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

The mulch from the city is just fine for those natives, just keep the crowns clear.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 11:11AM
lynne3450

your selections from Theodore Payne sound LOVELY!!

when we planted our native garden here in LA we used city mulch to start, 3-4" thick, but kept the mulch away from the crown of the plant (where the plant goes into the ground) and it worked out fine. 1-2 years later we got beautiful Sycamore tree mulch from a tree trimming company and used that to supplement and replace the older mulch. And it was FREE-- tree trimmers have to pay to dump their mulched up trimmings, so they're happy to deliver to you and get it of their hands. Just make sure you work w a reputable tree trimmer so you know what you're getting (not a diseased tree or something).

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 11:49AM
CAManzanita(9)

Just reiterating what everyone else basically said: natives will take some times to get established (but you'll be so happy when they do). Some people like to plant fillers, like annuals, as previously said, or other short-lived plants, like Gambelia (aka Galvezia) or Acmispon, to temporarily fill it in. There's a lot more choices out there.

Really glad to see another California native gardener :)

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 12:22AM
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21

Thanks so much everyone! Glad I didn't sweep the mulch back into the green bin. ;) Thanks for the recommendations. The folks at Theodore Payne mentioned planting wildflowers so perhaps I will clear away some spots and throw some of my Shady Mix down for a little color in the meantime.

Thanks for your help as I navigate the waters of native gardening for the first time!!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 1:54PM
kelpmermaid(10S24)

Wildflowers are good, it's true. There is a saying about the growth of natives: first year, they sleep, 2nd they creep, third year they leap. Be patient!

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 11:34PM
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21

okay - theodore payne's shady mix planted...fingers crossed...;)

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
trees wont grow
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i...
Carlos Hernandez
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
Sponsored Products
39-inch Flower Marble Table
Overstock.com
Jaipur Urban Bungalow Sabrine Flat Weave Geometric Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - R
$70.00 | Hayneedle
Campania International Nadal Planter - Set of 2 - Lava - 8341-10002
$479.99 | Hayneedle
3D Contemporary Wall Panels Rays Design (Set of 10)
Overstock.com
Cactus! Hors-D'oeuvre Tray by Alessi
$260.00 | Lumens
Bronze Petunia Kinetic Garden Stake
$99.99 | zulily
7.5-foot Aspen Spruce Hinged Tree with 450 Clear Lights
Overstock.com
Ivory Tree of Life Aromatherapy Candle
$19.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™