Will My Poor Bouganvilla Make a Comeback?

Evelyn256(Zone 9a SoCal)January 2, 2014

This bougy was gorgeous this past summer (I am in Zone 9, near Temecula, Ca), but a freeze left it looking like this. Do you recommend I cut it back, or should I leave it alone and hope for the best? I was just getting it to spill over the wall to be seen by front of house. Next year I'll be sure to throw a sheet over it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

The bougainvilleas and hibiscus here look the same! We'll probably have another cold snap so I would leave as is until late Feb. Don't want to encourage new tender growth.

This year I used towels over my Gerberas and they look great. Wish I'd remembered to protect the geraniums :-(

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 4:36PM
DrPekeMom

I'm betting she'll be fine after you cute her back. I once snapped mine off at the roots and she is trying to eat the entire house again.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:47PM
kathi_mdgd

One of mine in the front yard looks almost like yours,however one in the backyard where it really gets the ocean/canyon breeze is blooming like crazy.
Kathi

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 9:08PM
CA Kate

I'd leave it until it starts to bud out. Sometimes ours would die back to the ground and other times sprout out all along the whole long stem.

Covering it might not have helped. Bougies are really cold sensitive.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 10:42PM
amazing_hedges

I'm 20 miles north of you in Juniper Flats (Nuevo). Our bugy dies back each winter and comes back each spring. Take the first frost as an opportunity to perform the year's severe pruning. If the bugy doesn't fit an evergreen desire, replace it.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 12:35PM
Evelyn256(Zone 9a SoCal)

Thanks everyone. I'll wait until Feb. to do any trimming. I can already see new growth at the base--yippee! This is the way it looked pre-frost...I love these lusty plants.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 7:34PM
kathi_mdgd

Wow,that's a beauty.
Kathi

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 12:46AM
farmerkevin(USDA 9)

Should be fine. My bougainvillea is about 30 years old and I can NOT kill it. I keep it trimmed to a square/rectangle shape (walkway on one side, deck/sitting area on the other) and it is always over growing. I can trim it and a week later it looks like I did nothing haha.

Oh and I'm about 20 miles or so from you if that makes a difference :)

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 3:22AM
kathi_mdgd

Evelyn,how's your bougainvillea doing.I trimmed mine back some and it's in flower and looking very good again.
kathi

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 3:59PM
kathi_mdgd

here's mine

Pinky-red in lower back yard

Kathi

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 4:33PM
Evelyn256(Zone 9a SoCal)

Hi, Kathi - So so pretty! I trimmed my back a bit, and it is putting out new green at the base. If the temp goes back to the 30's, I'll throw a sheet over it.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Does anyone know what this plant is?
I found it in Baja California. It had lovely pink trumpet...
pforrester
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™