Agave attack

pennyhal(11Sunset23)March 9, 2012

I really never intended to get an agave, but they seemed to be the right plant for the spot that I needed filling. So I was tending to them and saw that some cute little weeds were starting to sprout around the base of the plants. I decided to reach in there and pull them out. That was my mistake. As it was such a close area I thought I'd be able to just grab them with my fingers. Wrong. What I got was jabbed, poked, impaled, scratched, and gave up. Wicked plants they are. So how do you get the weeds out from around those plants with sharp teeth? How do you get in between leaves or around the base to grab those weeds without getting mutilated?

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Long handled tong tweezers!!!!

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 7:50PM
TT, zone 5b MA

"How do you get in between leaves or around the base to grab those weeds without getting mutilated?"

Very carefully...;-).

Gloves?

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 11:24PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Gloves , long sleeved shirts, GOGGLES, long handled hemostats are the best. Go well armed, and armored

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 12:09PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Hmmmm. I see some of you have some experience with this beast. I didn't wear gloves because they were too bulky to get in those tiny spaces. I'll suit up for battle and carry tweezers.

Penny

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 1:36PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

I have a long handle pruner. It works great for rose bushes and also hard to get places. It is 5 ft. long and I don't have to bend over to weed. Hard to find. I found them at Harbor Freight. I wish I had a picture of it. Hard to explain.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 2:54PM
paracelsus

It's not only the terminal spines and marginal thorns that Agave use to deter molestation, simple contact with a leaf will cause contact dermatitis from ejection of calcium oxalate spicules (about a half mm long SPIKES). That's why a long sleeved shirt is essential. Goggles will save your eyes from terminal spines. Be careful!

Brad

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
What kind of succulent is this?
Hi there. We cant seem to find what kind of succulent...
filipfilm
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™