Golden Barrel seedlings

SJVgardenMarch 13, 2013

Last spring I gathered seeds from my golden barrel cactus and planted them. So far so good. They are about 10 months old and vary in size from barely a sprout, to 3/4 inch tall. They seem to be pretty healthy, but today I noticed teeny-tiny bugs (like smaller than the grains of sand small) everywhere in the soil. They don't seem to be damaging the seedlings (yet anyway). Should I be concerned about them? Can I use a garden pesticide on them? Or will that kill my baby cactus?
Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alkh86(9)

I am having a similar problem with my echeveria and cactus mix seedlings. I would also like advise about using pesticides on seedlings.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:06AM
SJVgarden

Thought I would upload a photo. Can't even see the bugs, though. They are so small. The only way I see them is when they move around. They are sand color, and about the size of the white flecks in the pot. In fact, some of those may be the bugs.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 2:50PM
leisurely

Could be plant lice, springtails, fungus gnats. All are harmless to plants. If they jump around when disturbed they are springtails. There is probably a scientific name for them but I am not sure of it. You could spray with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to get rid of them without harm to the seedlings.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:40PM
notolover(5)

What cute babies.....can I send you some seeds so you can grow them for me? ;-)

I'm actually going to start some today unless I get called into work. It will be about my 20th try and I've never been successful yet. I think I just lose patience/interest. I have lots of seeds, but I'm concentrating on Echinopsis including some hybrid seeds I got off Ebay.

I know they won't be like their parents, but I may get lucky and get something interesting. That is if they live long enough.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:37AM
SJVgarden

Good luck notolover! Just put them somewhere where they will be undisturbed for at least a year, and keep them moist. A plastic lid or plastic wrap over the top is a good way to keep their environment very humid. They say they sprout in 3 months, but mine took at least 6, and there are still sprouts popping up!

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:40PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I dont have the patience for seed starting exept for annual vegetables and flowers.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
water testing for succulents.
What type of water do you use for your succulents?...
Britni Rice
Saved from Perdition
Dear Forum, You don't know it but you have saved a...
fakechuchi
Cheiridopsis caroli - schmidtii blooming
This is one of the little Cheiridopsis I picked up...
Propaganda Garden Design
Spring repots anyone???
I've already started my Spring repots even though it's...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Sponsored Products
WAC Lighting | Prisma Quick Connect Pendant Light
$204.50 | YLighting
Golden Pink Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily
20-Piece Victoria Personalized Flatware Service - D
$279.90 | Horchow
Crystorama 340-SA Solstice Semi Flush - 12W in. - Antique Silver - 340-SA
$498.00 | Hayneedle
Uttermost Villena Brass Buffet Lamp
Beyond Stores