Cryptanthus sports

bromadams(10b)November 14, 2008

Lisa, you mentioned a sport of Nivea. Would you call these sports or what? I'm new to the crypt game and maybe this kind of behavior is just normal variation.

Here is a sport of Pink Starlite. I guess it's a sort of an albino sport and will die once separated.

Here is a Ti with sports.

First pup has minor variations:

Second pup with major variations:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LisaCLV(HI)

Well, technically I guess they would be sports, but not stable sports, so their usefulness is limited.

Ti can be quite variable in it's pattern of variegation, and often throws unvariegated pups too. None of this is enough to justify naming one as a new cultivar, since they're not stable. On the other hand, I believe that Ti is itself a sport of It, which is albomarginated. When the variegation switches from A-M to medio-picta or back, and it holds stable over several generations, then you've got yourself a new cultivar. Same with other types of changes that are distinctly different from the mother and remain stable, like if one pup came out with silver bands or lacked the reddish pigment.

Many albomarginates throw albino pups from time to time. While this does qualify as sporting, it is inherently self-limiting, since, as you say, they will die once removed, so it can't be propagated. The exception to this would be if the pup maintained enough chlorophyll in the otherwise albino tissue to stay alive. You don't see this kind of thing very often, but I'm thinking of Neo. Cloud Nine or Monty, where the lower leaves eventually turn green with age.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
What type of brom is this?
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
ID help for a couple of things at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando
I was at Leu Gardens earlier this week and, among a...
gdadtravelinig
Spanish moss in Fl. oaks, need to know what kind of herbicide to spray
I have a customer that has heavy growth of moss in...
Big Yard Services
San Diego Bromeliad Show and Sale
Hey guys, for the SoCal people: Today and tomorrow...
sdandy
What to do with these Tillandsias......
Hello, In about 2 weeks I'm heading down south to Florida...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™