Oh no echeveria!

a_shau(San Francisco 8b)March 20, 2014

Or at least I think these were echeveria.

Does anyone know what may have happened to these poor lovelies?? I went away for one day on Tuesday and they looked fine and happy. When I went to check on these just now (thurs) I was so distraught to see this. These have always been outside; but recently I moved them from a shaded area to the back area, where it gets more sun. It's under a little bit of an overhang so it's a tiny shaded from the sun, but I've never seen anything like this.

There's a neighboring pot with one of the same echeveria about 2 feet away, and that echeveria is fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

What have your temperatures been like as of lately? Were they watered recently/still wet? It's been getting near freezing here (also zone 8, not sure what part of zone 8 you're in though) and most nights have been in the 40s. It almost looks like cold damage to me, i.e. frozen tissue that has since turned to mush.

Planto

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:28PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

I would agree with Beth. To have leaves turn to mush so fast makes me wonder... Pull off the lower leaves and look at the stem, too. As long as the stem is good, you will be fine.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:46PM
plantomaniac08(8)

I meant to ask this in my first post, but can you show a picture from overhead? I can't tell if it's my eyes or if there's some sort of white blotches on the top section of leaves.

Planto

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 11:20PM
cactusmcharris

White blotches on them? I'd reckon sunburn too, with a double whammy of cold-when-wet. As Howard says, as long as the stem remains turgid, the leaves which are damaged will be shed and new ones will grow.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 12:01AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

I see the white on top and wondered the same about sun exposure, especially going from a shaded area to more sun. Some Echeveria will grow new plants from the lower stem after dead leaves have been removed; you won't get new leaves growing from below the head.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 7:46AM
plantomaniac08(8)

I was thinking sunburn too when I saw the white blotches, especially when the OP mentioned moving it from a shaded area to more sun, but I wasn't sure enough to state that. Still learning, haha.

Hopefully once the OP removes the leaves, all will be well.

To the OP, keep an eye on them in the next coming weeks. My part of zone 8 is supposed to get down to freezing a couple days next week. If they're wet, being wet and freezing temperatures can cause their quick demise.

On a side note regarding why the other Echeveria a couple feet away is fine... I noticed that the three in question are in a plastic (?) pot while the other one appears to be in clay. The clay pot will dry out faster, so that could be why you didn't see any issues with it.

I wish the weather would realize that it's Spring already.

Planto

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 8:32AM
lzrddr(91360)

I have done that far too many times.. typical sun burn

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 1:41PM
a_shau(San Francisco 8b)

thanks all! I don't know how cold it was on tues night since I was here, but in looking at my weather forecast it looks like it could have gone as low as 48 degrees here recently.

I do believe that I watered it and some of the water may have gotten left on top, although I usually try to avoid letting water touch the rosette (although not always successfully).

Paul - your eyes are working, that is indeed white on the top which promptly horrified and saddened me when I first saw them. I will check on the stem tomorrow.

Should I also pull of the white leaves to see if the top of the stem is ok?

Thank you all!

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 2:47PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Thanks, but I'm Beth (the one who's eyes weren't sure if they saw white stuff on the tops of the leaves). Hehe, no biggie. :)

I don't think you should remove the sunburned top leaves... allow them to die off on their own (if they do indeed die off).

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:03

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 3:02PM
a_shau(San Francisco 8b)

Haha, whoops, sorry! looks like it's my eyes that are unsure. Anyway, I think I know what happened. I had watered this, and I think that the water must have collected in the dish and just pooled there over night for a couple of nights, and perhaps got soaked. I have since removed the dish - we'll see in due time if these make it. Sad!

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 2:22AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Sorry to hear that, I hope they make it!

Planto

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
Fenestraria aurantiaca
Back in September 2014 got a few seeds in. this was...
tanpexoctics
Will this plant make it?
I put this plant in the sun for a almost a day and...
yonatin
Aloe with brown spots
About two months ago, this aloe was in full southern...
nanzjade_z5 MA
Echeveria propagation and soil help for newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum and new to raising succulents....
lavendarlilies
End of Winter Update: Crassula
So the infamously lengthy Canadian winter has finally...
DavidL.ca
Sponsored Products
Echeveria Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Britain Indoor Area Rug - 4' x 5'9"
Grandin Road
Webster Grey Sham - Standard
Crane and Canopy
NCAA Ohio St. Buckeyes Sideline Pillow
$13.95 | Bellacor
Geometric Side Table - SILVER
$200.00 | Horchow