Guess What I Found Today (Picture)

moonwolf_gwJune 23, 2011

Hi everyone,

I was out on a walk again today and decided to look over some of that wild common milkweed and look at who I found!

This really made my day! When I first spotted it, it was happily eating away at one of the buds. By the time I took this picture (had to come back home to get the camera), he had moved to the leaf. I think s/he's going to sleep for the night. Looked at some of the other milkweed plants growing nearby and didn't see one caterpillar. I think I saw frass though lol. Anyways, I just wanted to share my happy day with you all! Enjoy! Sorry for the blurriness.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Congrats, Brad, on your cute little monarch!

Sherry

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 10:23PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Yes, Brad, congrats on your Monarch! Happy, happy day!

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 12:01AM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you, guys!

When I go on my walk later, I'll see how much it's eaten lol. I'll try to get a better picture too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 11:13AM
bettyd_z7_va(7)

Brad,

I'm jealous! Still no monarchs, eggs or cats here.

Congrats to you! I would be excited too!

Betty

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 7:13AM
minrose(4Mn)

good for you, how fun!

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:38AM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you again!

I am very happy to say when I saw the cat yesterday, it looked like it had grown! It seems it likes to eat the flower buds. There's a few bites that it took out of a leaf but no more. Mind you, this is all on the plant I found it on. I *think* I saw an egg too but I'm not sure. It looked like a Monarch egg though from what I remember reading.

I wish I could bring it home with me but I'm sure it's happy where it is. It's just as well since my WS common milkweed is on the small side. My WS swamp milkweed is growing taller however. WS tropical milkweed and butterfly weed are perhaps the strongest of the bunch. Not blooming yet but are they ever growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 11:20AM
coolbutterfly(5A)

Hey Brad, sounds like you are well on your way to growing a great habitat for the monarchs.

If everything is newly planted this summer, your plants should take off next year! (butterfly weed takes 2 years though)

If you want larger/blooming tropical all summer, pot a couple plants over winter and take cuttings.

If I would have realized how much faster the cuttings grow, I would have planted more! Good luck with your patch, Tony

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 12:03PM
moonwolf_gw

Thank you Tony!

They're doing good this year and they were planted some time ago. Butterfly weed is in a pot with WS rattlesnake master. I got it at one of the dollar stores and it looks like an old fashioned bushel. From what I read, they should do well together (I think they would look nice together too).

I just might have to take cuttings from the tropical milkweed! Gives me another houseplant to take care of :-). I already grow some of their tropical relatives, the hoyas, as houseplants so they'll be right at home!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™