Can anyone ID this one for me?

luvz_houseplantsNovember 25, 2006

I've had this one for quite awhile now and I have no idea what it is. I noticed this morning that it's growing something, I'm assuming a flower??? I would love to know what the name of this plant is.

Thanks so much! (Sorry for the massive pic)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

Yup, it's a flower spike. I think this is a Gasteria but I'm not into the genus so really don't know about that.

Dave
Milwdave

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 9:16AM
luvz_houseplants

Thanks so much Dave! I looked around and managed to come up with the name Gasteria Armstrongii. I wanted to get an idea of what the flower will end up looking like. Good job! :)
Jen

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 10:22AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi & congrats to you! Sure is a flower spike, hard to tell what kind of Gasteria from the close-up (I know you were focusing on the spike), armonstrongii sounds like a good start.

While many folks consider Gasteria & Haworthia (a close relative) flowers unremarkable, I was still thrilled when I bloomed my first Haworthia (none of my Gasterias have bloomed yet). If you haven't found a pic in bloom, it'll be a long, wiry flower stem w/ small individual flowers opening up close to the top, probably green & white blooms w/ coral pink bellies. I think they look kind of charming actually!

Importantly, it is proof positive you have done right by the plant & it's happy & healthy! Congrats & enjoy!

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 5:48PM
luvz_houseplants

Thanks Pirate Girl! Would ya believe that I've been keeping him under a fluorescent light? I have 2 Haworthias too that have flowered for me, and although they aren't that showy, they let ya know they're happy! Awesome. I'm excited, I hope he continues to do well for me. Thanks again guys!

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 6:31AM
rjm710

That's great that it's going to bloom! It is Gasteria, probably a hybrid, as armstrongii is normally not spotted.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 12:53PM
luvz_houseplants

Hmm, ok rjm, thanks. I'll keep looking. It's gotten so much taller since I took this pic! I'm so excited :D

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
What is this succulent?
A friend gave me a lot of this succulent, but she didn't...
fre2bme64
Order of posts
I'm confused - the top post seems to be from January...
marguerite_gw
Greenhouse at dawn (photo)
Here's a photo of my greenhouse about twenty minutes...
cactus_cowboy
What kind of cacti is this?
Anyone know what type this is? Very thick and unique...
gwod1
Need help identifying
Not sure what plant this is
amy1980
Sponsored Products
Lithonia Lighting Quantum 6-Volt 12-Watt Lead-Calcium and Fixed Optics Emergency
$36.97 | Home Depot
Elk Lighting Cheltham 46021/3-LA 3 Light Instant Pendant - 46021/3-LA
$510.00 | Hayneedle
4-Tier Bamboo Desk Organizer
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Tav 14-inch LED Outdoor Light
Lightology
Series 419 Brushed Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant
$53.10 | Bellacor
Millbrook Two-Person Picnic Backpack
$64.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™