Can anyone ID this one for me?

luvz_houseplantsNovember 25, 2006

I've had this one for quite awhile now and I have no idea what it is. I noticed this morning that it's growing something, I'm assuming a flower??? I would love to know what the name of this plant is.

Thanks so much! (Sorry for the massive pic)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

Yup, it's a flower spike. I think this is a Gasteria but I'm not into the genus so really don't know about that.

Dave
Milwdave

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 9:16AM
luvz_houseplants

Thanks so much Dave! I looked around and managed to come up with the name Gasteria Armstrongii. I wanted to get an idea of what the flower will end up looking like. Good job! :)
Jen

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 10:22AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi & congrats to you! Sure is a flower spike, hard to tell what kind of Gasteria from the close-up (I know you were focusing on the spike), armonstrongii sounds like a good start.

While many folks consider Gasteria & Haworthia (a close relative) flowers unremarkable, I was still thrilled when I bloomed my first Haworthia (none of my Gasterias have bloomed yet). If you haven't found a pic in bloom, it'll be a long, wiry flower stem w/ small individual flowers opening up close to the top, probably green & white blooms w/ coral pink bellies. I think they look kind of charming actually!

Importantly, it is proof positive you have done right by the plant & it's happy & healthy! Congrats & enjoy!

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 5:48PM
luvz_houseplants

Thanks Pirate Girl! Would ya believe that I've been keeping him under a fluorescent light? I have 2 Haworthias too that have flowered for me, and although they aren't that showy, they let ya know they're happy! Awesome. I'm excited, I hope he continues to do well for me. Thanks again guys!

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 6:31AM
rjm710

That's great that it's going to bloom! It is Gasteria, probably a hybrid, as armstrongii is normally not spotted.

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 12:53PM
luvz_houseplants

Hmm, ok rjm, thanks. I'll keep looking. It's gotten so much taller since I took this pic! I'm so excited :D

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
Surprise Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. friedrichii polypoid seed pod
Hi, Just wanted to share. This seed pod by color and...
dirt_farmer
Id this one for me please!
The tall one in the back, thanks!
vngavnga
Greenhouse at dawn (photo)
Here's a photo of my greenhouse about twenty minutes...
cactus_cowboy
What kind of cactus is this?
My husband brought me a tall thin cactus back from...
gin54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™